Re: Is there a proper way to multithread access to a paradox table?

2003-11-12 01:28:39 PM
off-topic0
Also, I am very busy with paying work at the moment so my volunteer
time is limited.
And I am sure I speak for many on this NG in saying that your volunterring
goes far far far beyond the call of duty. This NG and the Database.Desktop
would be a wasteland without your regular monitoring and assistance. I can
understand Alex's anxiety with his bug, but I just thought you'd like to be
reminded how much we all value (and depend on) your contributuions to these
NG.
Olivier

Re:Re: Is there a proper way to multithread access to a paradox table?

Bill Todd < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The reason I have not answered is because you are getting accurate
advice. Each thread must have its own TSession, TDatabase and all
other data access components. The easiest way to do this is to create
the components in code in the thread object's constructor.
As I said before the additional session does not solve the problem. Is it necessary to upload the code?
Also, I am very busy with paying work at the moment so my volunteer
time is limited.
I understand that. But I hope for your help.
Thank you.

Re:Re: Is there a proper way to multithread access to a paradox table?

"deadpoint" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I have builder 5.
Can I hope for your help if I rewrite the test in builder?

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Is there a proper way to multithread access to a paradox table?

Bill Todd < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Each thread must have its own TSession, TDatabase ...
Whether it is necessary to use TDataBase?
Here is quotation from Delphi help:
Use TDatabase when a database application requires any of the following control over a database connection:
?Persistent database connections
?Customized database server logins
?Transaction control
?Application-specific BDE aliases
It seems to me that it's not necessary to use TDataBase in my case. Is it?

"Alex" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

"deadpoint" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>I have builder 5.
Can I hope for your help if I rewrite the test in builder?

Yes if you rewrite it in builder 5, I can spend an hour or so looking. I run
my own company and don't have a lot of time between work, sleep and
eat!!!!!!

news:3fb21912$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>"deadpoint" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>I have builder 5.
>Can I hope for your help if I rewrite the test in builder?

Yes if you rewrite it in builder 5, I can spend an hour or so looking. I run
my own company and don't have a lot of time between work, sleep and
eat!!!!!!
Ok. I'll try firstly to rewrite the Delphi code according to your and Bill Tod's recommendations. Then if the problem will not solved I'll try to use Builder.
May I ask you about your company? If so, send me an email please.
Thank you.

Re:Re: Is there a proper way to multithread access to a paradox table?

"Alex" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Bill Todd < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Also, I am very busy with paying work at the moment so my volunteer
>time is limited.
I understand that. But I hope for your help.

Thank you.
Bill Todd contributed seven answers in this thread. You also have at least
that many from other users. It doesn't seem like multi-threading is going
to work for you. I suggest you implement a solution that doesn't
multi-thread. If it runs on decent hardware, you shouldn't notice too much
difference, plus all of your struggles will be solved.
Also, many thanks to Bill Todd for his consistent help in these forums!
Joe