BDE Merge Module ...need help please!

2005-03-01 07:52:27 PM
off-topic8
Hi, Could anyone please point me at a guide for merging db info
into an existing BDE install. I am using WinINSTALL to create an
BDE Install MSI but can't seem to get the merge to work.

Re:BDE Merge Module ...need help please!

OK, sorry.. I've restarted my efforts using Installshield
Express version 3.03 as I've found a few tidbits detailing the
process.
I finished first 'trial run' and bde installs OK and the
merge works fine BUT, my existing idapi32.cfg seems to get
overwritten by the install. Any suggestions?
"AndyH" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Hi, Could anyone please point me at a guide for merging db info
into an existing BDE install. I am using WinINSTALL to create an
BDE Install MSI but can't seem to get the merge to work.

Re:BDE Merge Module ...need help please!

You should know that there are some bugs in the Merge Module that have been
discussed here (a while ago). Although nothing technically prevents you,
you're not supposed to modify other companies' merge modules as that may
break other developers' installs. I can't remember all the problems, but if
you search this newsgroup's archive on Google, you should find more info. I
might recommend that you try something using an install from here
ibinstall.defined.net instead. I haven't used this, but I know it's
what Bill usually recommends. You can run other installs (such as a
non-Merge Module BDE install) from a Windows Installer install if you have
to still use Windows Installer for some reason.
Anyway, as to why your existing idapi32.cfg is getting overwritten, I'm not
100% sure why, but here's my guess: If a file is non-versioned (i.e.
doesn't have a defined version or language - like idapi32.cfg) then Windows
Installer considers it a data file. A data file will be overwritten by the
install unless it's create date and modified date differ. Maybe your
idapi32.cfg file's create and modified date were the same for some reason?
If so, it would get overwritten. Are you having the install add any
aliases? If so, maybe there's a bug that causes the BDE Merge Module to
overwrite an existing idapi32.cfg file? I don't use my install to add
aliases to the BDE - my app does that dynamically, so I haven't run into any
problems here.

{smallsort}

Re:BDE Merge Module ...need help please!

wonderful!
"C P" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >gl