Moving Starteam from one server to another

2005-08-03 08:51:14 PM
off-topic6
Hello all,
I have seen this asked months ago, and now I need to do this. We are
trying to move a server. Originally, we had a test server install
running against an Oracle back end using StarTeam 6.0. We now want to
run on another dedicated server. I'd like to be able to move the server
to the other machine so we can keep the history of the two projects we
had in our other server. What documents or source of reference can I use
to figure out how to accomplish this server move?

Re:Moving Starteam from one server to another

Look in the StarTeam Administration Guide. I don't see a specific topic on
moving the server, but I feel sure there is one. In any case, the details
you need are there. Here's a quick summary...
(1) On the new server machine, install StarTeam server, but leave out the
sample repository and MSDE.
(2) Copy your vault (ignore cache) to the new server. Ideally, keep the
directory paths the same. If you change them you will have to override them
when you start up starteam on the new machine.
(3) Setup the ODBC connection on the new server to your existing database.
(4) Copy starteamserverconfig.xml (or whatever that file's real name is -
it's something like that.) from old machine to new one.
(5) With the old server shut down, try starting the new one. Verify that
you can login, that you can see recent activity, and that you can checkout
files without getting a "missing archive" message. At least spot-check. To
be very very sure, you could checkout everything from every project.
Be careful to never run both servers at the same time. Probably it would
fail gracefully, but better safe than sorry.
:) dave