Authentication Problem

2003-03-21 11:14:19 PM
off-topic19
We have developed an application in Borland Delphi (using BDE) that has
been accessing MSSQL v7 and 2000 databases using SQL authentication and we
have never had any problems. However, we have now been asked to use Windows
authentication only. If we remove the Username from the BDE and use Named
Pipes to connect all works well, however if we use TCP to connect we get a
message..."Username ('null') is not a trusted SQL connection" or similar.
According to the MS documentation, the username should be ignored if the
server is configured to use Windows authentication only.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
--
---------------------------
Jon Hunt

Re:Authentication Problem

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Jon Hunt < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
We have developed an application in Borland Delphi (using BDE) that has
been accessing MSSQL v7 and 2000 databases using SQL authentication and we
have never had any problems. However, we have now been asked to use Windows
authentication only. If we remove the Username from the BDE and use Named
Pipes to connect all works well, however if we use TCP to connect we get a
message..."Username ('null') is not a trusted SQL connection" or similar.
According to the MS documentation, the username should be ignored if the
server is configured to use Windows authentication only.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

You can't use Windows Authentication with TCP unless the application is local
to the SQL Server.
The problem is by design. See MS KnowledgeBase for IIS and SQL Server

Re:Authentication Problem

Hi all,
I have a little problem getting the name of the user currently
authenticated.
I wrote a module using delphi6 for apache (win) 1.3.29 and configured them
in the httpd.conf like follows:
LoadModule WDD mod_wdd.dll
<Location /WDD>
SetHandler wdd-handler
AllowOverride AuthConfig
AuthType Basic
AuthName WDD
AuthUserFile "passwd.conf"
AuthGroupFile "groups.conf"
order deny,allow
allow from all
require group test
</Location>
The authorization works well. If the user request a site from the module the
authorization-dialog (IE6) appears, all ok so far !
To build the page to return a have to evaluate the user authenticated within
the module.
But sometimes the TWebRequest.Authorization property is empty. Why ?
I made some changes on the Location-Tag (Path, Name, Type etc...) but
nothing could solve the problem.
I also tried to solve it with a <Directory "/WDD">in the access.conf -
sensless !
Any suggestions whats wrong here ?
so long
mfg-cd

{smallsort}

Re:Authentication Problem

Just tried to solve it with the <Response.WWWAuthenticate>option in delphi
and a handler configured like follows without any server-side authentication
(apache) :
<Location /WDD>
SetHandler wdd-handler
</location>
Request.Authorization is still empty !
so long
mfg-cd
"Cyril Damm" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

Cyril,
Have you changed out the tutorial on my website related to Basic
Authentication?
--
Shiv R. Kumar
The Delphi Apostle