Re: What do you want to know about the CodeGear Developer Network?

2007-01-19 12:49:06 AM
off-topic4
JD wrote:
I like it and would like to know what
CodeGear thinks of it ie. cost/benifit ect..
Wiki documentation (of some sort) has already been announced.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Re: What do you want to know about the CodeGear Developer Network?

"Andy Syms" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

This tirade is a perfect example of why 'JD' and 'John F'
both reside in my bozo bin. :-(
Don't know you ... don't care but it's too bad that you're
unable to see that Borland/CodeGear has a social responsibility
here. Ever had a business ethics course?
~ JD

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>Next Monday (I think at 11am, but I'll confirm with David), David I
>will be discussing DN..

I don't think I gave permission to use my initials..
That won't happen any more if you change your name so that you have
trademarked initials.
--
Thomas Maeder (TM)

{smallsort}

Re:Re: What do you want to know about the CodeGear Developer Network?

In article <45af854d$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"JD" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I'd like to know when borland.public.off-topic will be
shutdown. The de facto moderator is Rudy Velthuis and he
has abused the trust invested in him by Borland and now
CodeGear.
IMO, bpot is valuable to let off steam. I don't see why you are
complaining that a troublemaker keeps being escorted off the premises. I
really doubt you'd be any happier if a CodeGear employee was doing the
moderation. Either way, this subject is really off topic here. Email
might be a better medium since there isn't really a meta-group for these
newsgroups.
--
-David Dean
CodeGear C++ QA Engineer

JD wrote:
I'd like to know when borland.public.off-topic will be
shutdown. The de facto moderator is Rudy Velthuis and he
has abused the trust invested in him by Borland and now
CodeGear.
Nope. I am doing what I am told to do: enforcing the guidelines, if
necessary in a rigourous way, especially in off-topic. Since you have
no idea why certain messages are cancelled, I think you should not
accuse me without knowing the facts. This is not the first time you
jump to the wrong conclusion and get vocal about my cancellations
(usually of your posts, BTW). I have never seen an apology from you.
And if you mean I also cancelled some of your messages, let me tell you
that there were equally good reasons for that, even if you probably
don't see it that way (people being cancelled seldom do).
So if you agree that many posts in off-topic do not belong on this
server, you are right. That is why they are cancelled.
If you are trying to say that I only cancel those I presumably don't
like, you are plainly and simply wrong. If that were true, many cancels
would never have been made and many other messages would have been
cancelled.
I do think, however, that your negative bias against me influences your
post. <g>
Followup-to off-topic.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Multitasking /adj./ 3 PCs and a chair with wheels?" -- unknown

Re:Re: What do you want to know about the CodeGear Developer Network?

Hi Rudy,
Questions inline below.
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
JD wrote:

>I'd like to know when borland.public.off-topic will be
>shutdown. The de facto moderator is Rudy Velthuis and he
>has abused the trust invested in him by Borland and now
>CodeGear.

Nope. I am doing what I am told to do: enforcing the guidelines, if
necessary in a rigourous way, especially in off-topic. Since you have
no idea why certain messages are cancelled,
I,don't know the specific messages from JD you refer to, but did you let him
know why his messages where canceled?
I think you should not
accuse me without knowing the facts. This is not the first time you
jump to the wrong conclusion and get vocal about my cancellations
(usually of your posts, BTW). I have never seen an apology from you.

Any Details?
And if you mean I also cancelled some of your messages, let me tell you
that there were equally good reasons for that, even if you probably
don't see it that way (people being cancelled seldom do).

Any details?
So if you agree that many posts in off-topic do not belong on this
server, you are right. That is why they are cancelled.

Any details?
If you are trying to say that I only cancel those I presumably don't
like, you are plainly and simply wrong. If that were true, many cancels
would never have been made and many other messages would have been
cancelled.

I do think, however, that your negative bias against me influences your
post. <g>

Could you please supply more specifics Rudy?
I am sure everybody will be searching the google newsgroup archives like
crazy now :)
Unless you were really quick on your cancelations that is :)
Love from Dave.

David Cameron wrote:
I am sure everybody will be searching the google newsgroup archives
like crazy now :)
I'm gonna need popcorn for this one. =)
--
Sr. Lucio D. Sanchez
"What can brown do for you?" - Someone at UPS

Re:Re: What do you want to know about the CodeGear Developer Network?

I remember back when I was more naive and gave reasons for when I cancelled
messages. People would respond arguing about the reason, usually
equivocating and misrepresenting the facts of the matter. Common responses
were belligerence, intransigence, starting a fight and encouraging their
cronies to join in.
I no longer give a reason. If the people who wrote messages that I
cancelled can't figure out why then I assume they don't understand enough to
be posting.
Rudy cancels in a manner which puts a record of his doing it in the cancel
group. I usually cancel in a way which leaves no public indication. He
lets you know what he did, a mark of quality for owning up to the fact.
Whenever I take a look at what others have allowed to remain in off-topic it
makes me think that they are too accomodating and long-suffering. I no
longer look over there often as it is too disturbing.
. Ed
David Cameron wrote in message
news:45afe21d$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Any Details?
Any details?
Any details?

David Cameron wrote:
I,don't know the specific messages from JD you refer to, but did you
let him know why his messages where canceled?
This subthread is off-topic here.
Please don't ignore the followups I set again.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Should array indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was

Ed Mulroy wrote:
I remember back when I was more naive and gave reasons for when I
cancelled messages. People would respond arguing about the reason,
usually equivocating and misrepresenting the facts of the matter.
Common responses were belligerence, intransigence, starting a fight
and encouraging their cronies to join in.

I no longer give a reason. If the people who wrote messages that I
cancelled can't figure out why then I assume they don't understand
enough to be posting.
My experience and my view as well.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Write a wise word and your name will live forever."

David Cameron wrote:
Could you please supply more specifics Rudy?
No. Just visit off-topic and read the disclaimer the server adds to the
bottom of each message.
This subthread does not belong here, a non-technical group for
C++Builder. Followup set.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two

Ed Mulroy wrote:
Whenever I take a look at what others have allowed to remain in
off-topic it makes me think that they are too accomodating and
long-suffering. I no longer look over there often as it is too
disturbing.
That's a bit exaggerated. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Cholesterol is your natural defence against excessive

"David Cameron" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Unless you were really quick on your cancelations that is :)

Love from Dave.
Strange, rudy does not archive his posts, with good reason I am sure.
John F

Re:Re: What do you want to know about the CodeGear Developer Network?

JD wrote:
The disclaimer that the server attaches at the bottom of every
post says (in part):

Enforcement of rules is deliberately minimal but Borland
reserves the right to cancel posts at any time, for any
reason, without notice.

However, Mr. Velthuis has taken it upon himself to enforce
his own set of rules when it suits him.
FWIW, many of the posts he cancels I would cancel myself if I had the
time, so you cannot claim it is when it suits him. Well you could, but
you'd be wrong.
In another post you talk about Borland/CodeGear's social
responsibility, well removing abuse, lies, racism etc etc are part of
that.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]