Error 4004; Serverity 16

2006-07-05 07:55:40 PM
off-topic19
Hi All,
When Im trying to fetch some information from a table in MS SQL server
using BDE Im getting the error:
Error 4004; Serverity 16; I searched the help for this and I got the
message 'Unicode data in a Unicode-only collation or ntext data cannot be
sent to clients using DB-Library (such as ISQL) or ODBC version 3.7 or
earlier.'
What does this mean? What I have to do rectify this?
Im using Windows 2003 Server with MS SQL Server 2000.
Thanks in advance.
Rajeev R

Re:Error 4004; Serverity 16

BDE can not work with UNICODE - you need to use a SELECT statement and CAST
the unicode columns to their non-unicode alternates,
ie :
select ID,
cast (Type as varchar(50)) as Type,
disabled,
hourlyrate,
cast (labourType as varchar(10)) as LabourType,
cast (Department as varchar(5)) as Department,
remotehourlyrate,
initialresponsetime,
dialupresponsetime,
onsiteresponsetime
from dbo.contracttypes dbo_contracttypes
"Borland News Groups" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hi All,

When Im trying to fetch some information from a table in MS SQL server
using BDE Im getting the error:

Error 4004; Serverity 16; I searched the help for this and I got the
message 'Unicode data in a Unicode-only collation or ntext data cannot be
sent to clients using DB-Library (such as ISQL) or ODBC version 3.7 or
earlier.'

What does this mean? What I have to do rectify this?

Im using Windows 2003 Server with MS SQL Server 2000.

Thanks in advance.
Rajeev R

Re:Error 4004; Serverity 16

The BDE SQL Links driver, which has been deprecated, uses Microsoft's
DBLIB client library. Microsoft stopped updating DBLIB after SQL Server
6.5 so it does not support Unicode.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}