Re: TP-5.5 Graphics Initialization under XP

2004-03-31 04:00:40 AM
off-topic7
quick schrieb:
I had a similar problem with an ATI card. I don't remember if
it was a Rage or Radeon. I found that it simply did not support
16 color modes.

Hm, I know only that newer ATI Cards don't support 16 colors above
640x480, e.g. 800x600 with 16 colors is not supported.
Greetings
Markus

Re:Re: TP-5.5 Graphics Initialization under XP

Hi,
Tried some more and made it work under XP.
Apparently XP does not support the 350 line mode anymore.
So I patched gdriver.pas to go into 480 line mode.
Only 350 of these will be used, so there is a dark area at
the bottom of the screen. Better than nothing, I guess.
To patch, replace the Hardwarepresent function in
gdriver.pas with:
function HardwarePresent{ : boolean};
{ Test for the presence of a graphics card }
begin
GrafMode := $0012;
MinForeground := 0;
MaxForeground := 15;
MinBackground := 0;
MaxBackground := 15;
DisplayType := EGAColor;
DisplayMem := 3;
HardwarePresent := DisplayType <>Other;
end; { HardwarePresent }
regards, Matt

Re:Re: TP-5.5 Graphics Initialization under XP

[snip]
So it seems the virtual machine for 16 Bit DOS apps is getting more and
more lousy for every new Windows version, but without any proper reason.
M$ s... (you know what)
Greetings
Markus

{smallsort}

Re:Re: TP-5.5 Graphics Initialization under XP

"Prakash Balan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

I am trying to use a program originally written using Turbo-Pascal 4 and the Turbo-Pascal 4 Graphix Toolbox. The code is (in its day) a fully debugged operation program.

I recently decided to rerun the program and dowloaded TP-5.5 for this. The code runs into problems when it tries to execute an Procedure called "initGraphic" which seems to be a procedure in the GKernel.pas (part of the Graphix Toolbox). I get the following error running in a DOS window in full screen or as a window in XP

"Fatal error: Graphics hardware not found or properly initialized"

I tried setting my Graphics card to 640x480 16 colors to see if this would help, but it did not.

I'm running on a Windows XP machine with an ATI-Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics card

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem would be useful. The Program is a large piece of engineering code that I would like to avoid having to re-code if possible.

thanks in advance

Prakash Balan

To all of you helpful individuals who took the time to solve my problem ..... THANK YOU!!!
The GDRIVER.PAS that I was using was written for the Hercules Graphics card based on the comment in the file
Based your comments to my oroginal post, I wondered if there were other GDRIVER.PAS versions out there for EGA cards.
I found one at
www.et.utt.ro/public/ProgLangs/TP-6/TOOLS/GRAPH/
This version in its leading comments in the GDRIVER.PAS fle indicates that it is a module for IBM EGA
I replaced my older GDRIVER.PAS file with the one downloaded from the above site and recompiled the source code. Using this new file, the program executed completely and all appropriate graphics worked.
Thanks a TON for helping out.
Prakash

"Prakash Balan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:40700e6a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Using this new file, the program executed completely and all appropriate graphics worked.

That is great!!
You probably had the file already under the name 'grafega.dvr'.
The graphix toolbox uses a rather primitive installation, by
copying one of several files to 'gdriver.pas'.
This issue still leaves me wondering about the compatibility
of Windows XP.
My GForce 2MX card does not support 350 lines under XP,
but it does under older versions of Windows. Therefore I do not
believe it is a hardware or BIOS issue.
Your graphics card seems to support 350 lines under XP.
Puzzling, isn't it ?
regards and good luck, Matt

"Matt Claessen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...

My GForce 2MX card does not support 350 lines under XP,
but it does under older versions of Windows. Therefore I do not
believe it is a hardware or BIOS issue.
Your graphics card seems to support 350 lines under XP.
Puzzling, isn't it ?

It is very easy to modify 'grafega.dvr' to support VGA-mode: You have
done most of the job already with Hardwarepresent. Remember to adjust
YMAXGlb=479
ScreenSizeGlb = 19200
LineDistGlb = 19
and your problems (black area below) with graphic card may - hopefully
- be gone!
Regards
Svend Broholm

Re:Re: TP-5.5 Graphics Initialization under XP

[snip]
Much of these things depend on the graphics driver.
1) try to get an update
2) if that don't work, get a connection to the manufacturer (e-mail or
phone) and complain about the missing/bad compatibility and/or
support!

"Markus Humm" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
[snip]

Much of these things depend on the graphics driver.

I am not sure whether this depends on the device drivers that come with
graphics cards. NTVDM calls its own emulated PC, which MS derived from
Insignia's SoftPC. As these old modes are all for hardware that is
register and memory compatible, it does not make sense to put this
code in vendor specific drivers.
But you're right. In practice support will get worse with every new Windows
version. Something between MS and the vendors will go wrong and code
will not be properly tested.
They will blame each other and no one will want to put up the effort just
to support old software.
regards, Matt

Re:Re: TP-5.5 Graphics Initialization under XP

[snip]
I already had such an issue where the graphics driver was the faulty
part! W2K with an ATI graphics card who always turned the whole screen
pink when displaying graphics (any mode) in fullscreen dos box. A newer
version solved that one to a great extend.
Greetings
Markus