Re: SQL Server BDE Config info

2003-07-30 08:40:35 PM
off-topic8
Define MSSQL
set Server name and user name
thats all.
must have Sql Client installed on PC
must have sql-links installed.
Jean-Michel
"Daniel Alvarez" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >a écrit dans le message de
How can I configure an SQL Server 2000 alias in BDE? what are the required
parameters to fill? Should I have any drivers installed besides of Delphi
5
enterprise to access the database?
Thanks.

Daniel

Re:Re: SQL Server BDE Config info

It is not necessary to post the same message three times.

Re:Re: SQL Server BDE Config info

I thought the BDE didn't support SQL Server 2000, only 6.5 and 7? My
understanding was that if you wanted to use SQL Server 2000, you had to
connect to SQL Server using an ODBC connection rather than one of the SQL
Links drivers?

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>How can I configure an SQL Server 2000 alias in BDE? what are the
required
>parameters to fill? Should I have any drivers installed besides of
Delphi
5
>enterprise to access the database?
>Thanks.
>
>Daniel

{smallsort}

Re:Re: SQL Server BDE Config info

sure
better performance, but problems with varchar ...
use rtrim to get correct string values ... we experienced on Oralce 8i and
SQL 2000.
BDE 5.2 is working fine with Oracle 9i.
we have not yet the good ado drivers for the oracle version.
JM
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >a écrit dans le message de
There are users who use SQL Server 7 and 2000 with the BDE native
driver but it does not support any of the new features added after
version 6.5. ADO is a much better choice.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Re: SQL Server BDE Config info

I need to access an SQL Server 2000 and through BDE 5.2..... I don't want to
use odbc drivers (if necessary I will, but I must avoid them). How to
configure the alias? What are the required params?
btw, I installed Delphi 5 enterprise, and I don't remember if I installed
SQL Links for SQL Server. I'm using right now SQL Links for access an
Interbase server and Oracle. How to discover if it is installed for SQL
Server?
If I have SQL Links installed, is it necessary to install SQL Client?
Thanks
Daniel

Granier Jean-Michel wrote:
Define MSSQL
set Server name and user name
thats all.
You also need to set the Database name
... Joe
Member of the UK Borland User Group

Chris Pettingill wrote:
I thought the BDE didn't support SQL Server 2000, only 6.5 and 7?
Some of my application were written using the BDE against SQL 6.5 as
the client has moved on from 6.5 to 7 and now 2000, the application has
continued to work without problem (so far). But it's essentially only
using SQL: 6.5 features.

Bill Todd wrote:
There are users who use SQL Server 7 and 2000 with the BDE native
driver but it does not support any of the new features added after
version 6.5. ADO is a much better choice.
But in the eyes of my client "it ain't broke, so it doesn't need
fixing". A rewrite to convert to ADO or dbExpress would be a major
exercise, for (in their eyes) no tangible gain.
... Joe
Member of the UK Borland User Group

Re:Re: SQL Server BDE Config info

I need to access an SQL Server 2000 and through BDE 5.2..... I don't
want to use odbc drivers (if necessary I will, but I must avoid them).
How to configure the alias? What are the required params?
Create alias (with driver MSSQL) in the BDE Admin and set SERVER NAME,
DATABASE NAME and USER NAME.
btw, I installed Delphi 5 enterprise, and I don't remember if I
installed SQL Links for SQL Server. I'm using right now SQL Links for
access an Interbase server and Oracle. How to discover if it is
installed for SQL Server?
You can see the driver in the BDE Administrator (Configuration - Drivers -
Native).
If I have SQL Links installed, is it necessary to install SQL Client?
Yes
Marek