It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

2005-07-13 12:03:47 PM
off-topic16
In a few hours, we'll be starting the 24 Hours of Delphi marathon. See
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33109,00.html for more
information.
In addition to the fantastic content we'll be broadcasting, we're also
going to be giving away prizes to people listening.
You'll have to sign up to tell us you're listening, though. You can
sign up at test.borland.com/broadcast so you're ready to click
the "I'm listening!" button and be eligible for prizes. (You can also
tell us you'd like to upgrade to Delphi 2005 with this new BDN
application, and we'll take care of you after the broadcast.)
The list of prizes is still growing, so we'll provide the list of
prizes during the broadcast. Don't be surprised to see a Delphi 2005
Architect or three being given away ;)
This is a brand new ECO ASP.NET application Robert Love and I whipped
together starting last Friday, so we could still use some testing on it
if you're interested. If you try it and have any issues with it, please
report them to the borland.public.bdn.website newsgroup, and we'll try
to get them addressed between 10:30 and 11:30pm, a half hour before the
broadcast starts.
We will be clearing all data a half hour before the broadcast starts so
we can start with "real" data for the broadcast. Thanks for any
feedback you provide on usability of the application, and I hope to
"see" you online during the broadcast.
It's going to be fun, informative, and we also have a few pleasant
surprises in store. You don't want to miss it!
Follow-ups to this reply go to delphi.non-tech because I'm guessing
most people will be talking about the marathon, but please try to post
issues with the broadcast app to the borland.public.bdn.website
newsgroup instead.
Thanks, and see you in a few hours.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

John
Great.I will be there(probably for most of the time.Advantages of working
from home)
Is this only for people who dont have delphi 2005.Please award prizes
(Delphi 2006) for the loyal customers too (who have already put their faith
in Borland)
By the way where is the new ECO application posted?
Venkatesh

VT Venkatesh wrote:
John
Great.I will be there(probably for most of the time.Advantages of
working from home)
Is this only for people who dont have delphi 2005.Please award prizes
(Delphi 2006) for the loyal customers too (who have already put their
faith in Borland)
By the way where is the new ECO application posted?
The event is for anyone regardless if you have Delphi 2005 or not.
The new application is available at
test.borland.com/broadcast
From the begining John and I have designed the application in a way
that we can strip out the BDN Specific code and use it as a demo. I
don't expect the demo code to be posted until after the broadcast.
--
Robert Love
Blog: peakxml.com

{smallsort}

VT Venkatesh wrote:
Please award prizes
(Delphi 2006) for the loyal customers too
There are prizes other than Delphi 2005
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

"John Kaster (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

You'll have to sign up to tell us you're listening, though. You can
sign up at test.borland.com/broadcast so you're ready to click
the "I'm listening!" button and be eligible for prizes.
When I go to that page I get:
"Server Error in '/broadcast' Application." and a lot more error messages,
including a long stack trace.
What's up?

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

Hi John,
You'll have to sign up to tell us you're listening, though. You can
sign up at test.borland.com/broadcast
I get: "Connection open failed. Unable to complete network request to
host "localhost". Failed to establish a connection. No connection could
be made because the target machine actively refused it."
I would guess you're using InterBase, and the database path in the
ConnectionString of the BdpConnection component has a prefix of
localhost: ??
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

Hi Uffe,
When I go to that page I get:
"Server Error in '/broadcast' Application." and a lot more error messages,
including a long stack trace.
Usually, it's not the "Server Error in /boradcast Application" that
contains the actual error. The first message that follows it, does (I
just reported it, as well as my probable diagnosis for the problem)...
What's up?
Something that can be fixed easily, I reckon.

"Bob Swart" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Something that can be fixed easily, I reckon.
A bit scaring if this hasn't been discovered until ?hour before start of
the event. Are we 2 the only ones to listen???

----

Bob Swart wrote:
>You'll have to sign up to tell us you're listening, though. You can
>sign up at test.borland.com/broadcast

I get: "Connection open failed. Unable to complete network request to
host "localhost". Failed to establish a connection. No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it."
Robert is in the process of fixing it. By the way, the event chat room
is now open.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

Hi Uffe,
A bit scaring if this hasn't been discovered until ?hour before start of
the event. Are we 2 the only ones to listen???
Nah, I'm being interviewed (in about 2 hours from now) - you're here
listening ;-)
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

Bob Swart wrote:
Hi John,

>You'll have to sign up to tell us you're listening, though. You can
>sign up at test.borland.com/broadcast

I get: "Connection open failed. Unable to complete network request to
host "localhost". Failed to establish a connection. No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

I would guess you're using InterBase, and the database path in the
ConnectionString of the BdpConnection component has a prefix of
localhost: ??

Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
The database server was stopped. Still in test mode and 11 minutes to
go. Need the prize list from John so I can setup the live versoin ;-)
--
Robert Love
Blog: peakxml.com

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

Hi VT,
I get
If you skip the first, and very non-descriptive, error, you get exactly
what I reported ;-)
Server Error in '/broadcast' Application.
----

Connection open failed. Unable to complete network request to host
"localhost". Failed to establish a connection. No connection could be made
because the target machine actively refused it.
Like I said, that's a connection error: an attempt is made to connect to
localhost, so the ConnectionString must be fixed to use the actual name
(or IP-address) of the machine where the database is located...
Venkatesh
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

I habe been to log in & also go the chat page.What surprised me was
the'Powered by Kylix' on the chat page.
18 users online now
Venkatesh
"Bob Swart" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hi John,

>You'll have to sign up to tell us you're listening, though. You can
>sign up at test.borland.com/broadcast

I get: "Connection open failed. Unable to complete network request to
host "localhost". Failed to establish a connection. No connection could
be made because the target machine actively refused it."

I would guess you're using InterBase, and the database path in the
ConnectionString of the BdpConnection component has a prefix of
localhost: ??

Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)

--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:It's almost time for 24 hours of Delphi!

I'm getting the audio, but have been unable to log into the "questions"
chat. I get the logon page, but I can't get it to accept any password.
Also, when I click on the "I am Listening" button on the monitor page I get
"There is currently no brodcast session...".
Clues?
Thanks,
Dan
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Dan Barclay wrote:
I'm getting the audio, but have been unable to log into the
"questions" chat. I get the logon page, but I can't get it to accept
any password.
Enter a username, eg: dbarclay, any password, and livechat for the
roomkey
Also, when I click on the "I am Listening" button on the monitor page
I get "There is currently no brodcast session...".
Fixed now.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]