What happens to my records ?

2005-09-29 08:28:06 PM
off-topic18
Hi Everyone,
I looked through this and other NG's to try and find the cause of this but
can't really find any help.
I am using Delphi 5 Pro and the BDE for a Master>Detail>Detail database
(Suppliers>Orders>Items). Every now and again some of my Orders records
get deleted, but the child records belonging to the deleted Orders are left
in the Items table. I can't even replicate the problem, somethimes it
happens, other times it doesn't. It esepecially seems to happen if I add a
lot of records to the database. I'm convinced my tables and indexes etc are
set up correctly.
Has anyone come across this before, and can you offer me any advice ? This
is killing me as I can't replicate the problem and therefore can't find the
cause.
I did find the following on www.bdesupport.com/faq.htm
Why do my Paradox tables sometimes lose records that have been recently
written by my application?
Run BDEADMIN.EXE and view the Navigation tab. Navigate down to System, then
INIT. Check the LOCAL SHARE setting and make sure it is set to TRUE.
I have followed the advice given but the worry is that the 'fix' seems to be
related to networked tables that are shared. My application is just a 1 user
app with the tables held locally.
Thanks
John Robson

Re:What happens to my records ?

What database are you using? My guess is Paradox tables. You may have a
corrupt table or index. Rebuild the tables with the table repair
utility at www.rksolution.cz . Make sure that you keep Local Share set
to true. Doing so turns off the BDE write cache which greatly reduces
the chance of corruption in case of an application or PC crash.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:What happens to my records ?

Bill Thanks,
I have downloaded the utility and checked the tables (I am using Paradox),
unfortunately th Utility reports the tables as being OK. I will certainly
set the Local Share to True though - having looked into the fix highlighted
on bdesupport.com I thought it would only be relevant if the tables were
shared across a network.
The annoying thing is that I'm not able to replicte the issue. However, I'll
change the Local Share value and keep an eye on things.
Thank you again Bill.
John.
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
What database are you using? My guess is Paradox tables. You may have a
corrupt table or index. Rebuild the tables with the table repair
utility at www.rksolution.cz . Make sure that you keep Local Share set
to true. Doing so turns off the BDE write cache which greatly reduces
the chance of corruption in case of an application or PC crash.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}