BDE under Vista, problem with c:\pdocusrs.net

2006-11-23 02:49:35 AM
off-topic10
Hello,
I'm working on getting my software running under Vista. One application uses
BDE. It's a Borland C++ Builder 5 app. The particular error message that my
end user is getting is:
Network initialization failed.
Permission denied.
File: C:\PDOXUSRS.NET
Directory: C:\.
He says the error goes away if he chooses to "run as administrator".
I did a google for "BDE vista pdoxusrs.net" but didn't come up with anything
useful.
Does anyone know of a fix?
Thanks,
Scott
Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader:
.... www.sb-software.com/android

Re:BDE under Vista, problem with c:\pdocusrs.net

I'm working on getting my software running under Vista. One application
uses
BDE. It's a Borland C++ Builder 5 app. The particular error message that my
end user is getting is:
Okay, so I've managed to figure out how to answer at least part of my
question... It has to do with Vista not allowing access to c:\ and the way
around it is to specify a netdir.
For example,
Session->NetFileDir = "c:\\foobar"
Doing that will make the program work. My next question would be, what is the
best place to set the net dir to? The natural place I tried setting it to is
the program directory (i.e. c:\program files\myapp) and get an 'ACCESS
DENIED' error. Presumably this is because of the wonderful Vista VirtualStore
which tries to get sneaky and place PDOXUSRS.NET in "c:\users\myname\appdata
\local\virtualstore\program files\myapp\" So I guess putting it in the
program directory is a non-option.
This leaves me wondering if I should just make up a plausible sounding
subdirectory off of c:\ and stick it there. That seems a bad choice because
I'm littering subdirectories around the root, which presumably was the great
problem Vista was trying to solve by restricting root access in the first
place... Not to mention that not all users have a c: drive, which means I
have to go through the hoops of figuring out what their root drive is, make
sure its not a read-only device, etc.
I wondering if anyone else has a good solution as to where to stick the
PDOXUSRS.NET file... There has to be some kind of a simple answer.
Thanks,
Scott
Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader:
.... www.sb-software.com/android

Re:BDE under Vista, problem with c:\pdocusrs.net

XXXX@XXXXX.COM wrote:
Does anyone know of a fix?
Have you tried giving the user read/write access to PDOXUSRS.NET?
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

XXXX@XXXXX.COM wrote:
This leaves me wondering if I should just make up a plausible
sounding subdirectory off of c:\ and stick it there.
That is what I do.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE under Vista, problem with c:\pdocusrs.net

That is what I do.
I ended up doing this:
SHGetFolderPath(NULL, CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA | CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE, NULL,
SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT, path);
. and then appening a backslash and my application name to the end of it. On
Vista, this appears to put things in the "c:\programdata\myappname"
directory. Under XP it goes into something like "C:\documents and settings
\all users\application data\myappname".