Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

2007-03-07 12:35:33 AM
off-topic12
Recently I have upgraded my ST2005 enterprise server to 2006. RDBMS is MS
SQL 2000.
Today I've noticed the error occurring when I try to check-in modified
file using Cross-Platform Client. The message is "Error converting data
type varchar to numeric".
My server locale is Russian. On Borland’s support site I’ve found
recommendation to change locale to English (UK). However the problem
remains.
Using MS SQL Profiler I’ve found, that the problem is related to “exec
bulk_edit_versioned?stored procedure call. This procedure receives a lot
of parameters, one (near the end of the very-very-very long parameters
list) is the string representing numeric (real) value. This value contains
comma instead of dot. It is interesting that some numeric values before
that parameter contains dots, not commas.
That comma is the cause of “error converting…?message.
I’ve manually replaced comma with dot and executed resulting statement
using Query Analyzer (rounded with begin transaction ?rollback of
course). In this case I received error “Invalid column name ‘f8’? Source
of bulk_edit_versioned procedure is encoded so I can not analyze it.
I receive the same error (“invalid column name f8? when I try to check in
a file using old Starteam 2005 Win32 client.
Does anybody know what is the ‘f8?column and why that column name is
invalid? Does it mean that my starteam’s database structure is corrupted?
Thank you,
Constantine

Re:Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

Hi Constantine,
It is an issue with ST 2006 running against MS SQL server. It happens
if your StarTeam server machine's locale settings have a comma as a
decimal separator (MS SQL only accepts "." for decimal separator).
The issue will be fixed in the coming StarTeam service pack release.
Meanwhile, as a workaround, please change the decimal separator symbol
to "." on your ST server machine.
Thanks,
Vladimir

Re:Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

Hi
As I posted in my message, error "Error converting data type varchar to
numeric" occurs until I manually replace commas with dots in the “exec
bulk_edit_versioned blah-blah-blah?statement. However the correct
(replaced) version of statement causes "invalid column name 'f8'" error?
Today I have installed (not upgraded from previous version) ST2006 on
different PC ?and I have exactly same problem :(
Thanks,
Constantine

{smallsort}

Re:Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

As I posted in my message, error "Error converting data type varchar to
numeric" occurs until I manually replace commas with dots in the "exec
bulk_edit_versioned blah-blah-blah" statement.
Sure. I just wanted to clarify the workaround for the "varchar to
numeric" issue.

Today I have installed (not upgraded from previous version) ST2006 on
different PC - and I have exactly same problem :(

Is it happening on a newly created configuration, and/or on StarDraw
(the sample configuration that comes with ST)?

On Mar 7, 1:03 pm, XXXX@XXXXX.COM wrote:
Hi

As I posted in my message, error "Error converting data type varchar to
numeric" occurs until I manually replace commas with dots in the "exec
bulk_edit_versioned blah-blah-blah" statement. However the correct
(replaced) version of statement causes "invalid column name 'f8'" error...

The "invalid column name f8" error may happen if your SQL server has
set up with a case-sensitive collation.
BTW, the stored procedures source code should be located in DBScripts
subfolder of your ST server installation, but you gotta know what you
are doing if you want to play around with it, as it is the easiest way
to mess up your data.

Re:Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

On Mar 7, 1:03 pm, XXXX@XXXXX.COM wrote:
Hi

As I posted in my message, error "Error converting data type varchar to
numeric" occurs until I manually replace commas with dots in the "exec
bulk_edit_versioned blah-blah-blah" statement. However the correct
(replaced) version of statement causes "invalid column name 'f8'" error...

The "invalid column name f8" error may happen if your SQL server set
up with a case-sensitive collation.
BTW, the stored procedures source code should be located in DBScripts
subfolder of your ST server installation, but you gotta know what you
are doing if you want to play around with it, as it is the easiest way
to mess up your data.
good luck

Re:Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

nPuBeT :)
Is it happening on a newly created configuration, and/or on StarDraw
(the sample configuration that comes with ST)?
The working configuration was upgraded from ST 2005 version.
Later I made new installation (not upgrade) of ST2006 on different PC,
created new configuration.
The problem remains ("Error converting data type varchar to numeric"
when I use cross-platform client,
"invalid column name 'f8'" when I use Win32 ST2005 Client).
I have not installed StarDraw config.
The "invalid column name f8" error may happen if your SQL server has
set up with a case-sensitive collation.
OK, I'll try to use case-insensitive collation today.
BTW, the stored procedures source code should be located in DBScripts
subfolder of your ST server installation...
Thank you! I'll play with them on my test installation of ST.
Constantine

Re:Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

Hi, Vladimir,
It seems, the problem is really related to SQL Server configuration.
I've installed new instance of SQL Server on different PC. It uses
another collation order (Cyrillic_general_CI_AI) and SP4, while
SQL_Latin1.General_CP_1251_CS_AS and SP3 is used on old (working)
instance.
When I create starteam config using new SQL Server instance everything
is OK, when I use old SQL Server I have error message.

Re:Starteam 2006 file check-in problem (invalid column name f8)

nPuBeT :)
It seems, the problem is really related to SQL Server configuration.

I've installed new instance of SQL Server on different PC. It uses
another collation order (Cyrillic_general_CI_AI) and SP4, while
SQL_Latin1.General_CP_1251_CS_AS and SP3 is used on old (working)
instance.

When I create starteam config using new SQL Server instance everything
is OK, when I use old SQL Server I have error message.
Glad to hear the problem is resolved. However, I am not sure about
Cyrillic collation - I don't remember the exact collation StarTeam
docs says it wants, but it is a Latin CI one for sure. Don't know if
there really is any problem running ST on Cyrillic though - just a
word of caution.
Good luck,
Vladimir