Best option to connection

2007-06-12 09:59:16 PM
off-topic12
Hello,
I have a 3-tier application that uses Interbase. We need to have a multi-database version of this application, that will use Interbase or SQL Server. My idea is change only the server-side (now it uses IBExpress). What is the best option ? I'm thinking about :
1 - Build 2 different app servers, one with IBExpress and another with ADO
2 - Build only one server, with DBExpress, and use it to connect both Interbase and SQL Server.
Any ideas would be very very appreciated.
Thanks.

Re:Best option to connection

"viana" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:466ea6b4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Hello,

I have a 3-tier application that uses Interbase. We need to have a
multi-database version of this application, that will use Interbase or SQL
Server. My idea is change only the server-side (now it uses IBExpress).
What is the best option ? I'm thinking about :

1 - Build 2 different app servers, one with IBExpress and another with ADO
2 - Build only one server, with DBExpress, and use it to connect both
Interbase and SQL Server.

Any ideas would be very very appreciated.
Well, as long as you don't use Interbase-specific features like events, you
should be able to use DBExpress and get the benefit of easily targeting
several other databases as well.
Dan

Re:Best option to connection

Your question is difficult to answer with the information we have. The
most appropriate approach depends in large measure on what if any
product specific features you are using. If you are using events,
selectable stored procedures or InterBase specific SQL syntax then the
best solution may be to write an application server for each database
platform.
If you are not using product specific features then you may be able to
write a new application server using dbExpress that will work with all
of the database servers you need to support.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

viana escreveu:
1 - Build 2 different app servers, one with IBExpress and another with ADO
2 - Build only one server, with DBExpress, and use it to connect both Interbase and SQL Server.
3 - Include ZeosLib in your list. With Firebird (client server and
embedded), Interbase (6 and 6.5) and MySQL (4.0, 4.1 and 5.0) I have
reached using Zeos a performance superior than any other components I
have worked with, including IBX and DBX. And no third-party comercial
driver is needded. Take a look: zeos.firmos.at/
Jeferson Oliveira
Brazil