BDE and Paradox Limits

2005-02-22 01:17:06 PM
off-topic6
Help!
Can someone, please, explain the main
concepts on BDE/Pdox Limits, such:
- clients
- number of clients
- sessions
- sessions per client
- Can one application work with two or
more aliases?
- May I run concurrently two or more
applications using different instances
of BDE on the same machine?
Thanks in advance for the answers.
Carlos

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

Carlos Ottoni wrote:
- number of clients
one instance of the BDE can handle 48 concurrent sessions..
- Can one application work with two or more aliases?
of course..
- May I run concurrently two or more applications using different
instances
of BDE on the same machine?
no.. unless you're running one old 16 bit BDE and one 32 bit BDE.. which
would be silly..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

Please see community.borland.com/article/0,1410,15159,00.html
Carlos Ottoni wrote:
Help!

Can someone, please, explain the main
concepts on BDE/Pdox Limits, such:

- clients
- number of clients
- sessions
- sessions per client

- Can one application work with two or
more aliases?

- May I run concurrently two or more
applications using different instances
of BDE on the same machine?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Carlos

{smallsort}

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

Dear Steven, thanks for your answer.
Concerning your previous response, where you mentioned
the limit of 48 sessions for BDE, can you explain me, please:
- does two clients in a network, using the same delphi
program, represent two different sessions for BDE
or just one session ?
- in the same context, how to consider a third client on
the same network, using a different delphi program but
with the same alias used by the clients of the previous
question?
Regards,
Carlos Ottoni
"Steven Green" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem

--
Steven Green - Waldorf Maryland USA

Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

Thanks Quinn for your answer. Please, see the
additional questions that I presented to Steven
in the newsgroup.
Carlos.
"Quinn Wildman" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem

Carlos Ottoni wrote:

>Help!
>
>Can someone, please, explain the main
>concepts on BDE/Pdox Limits, such:
>
>- clients
>- number of clients
>- sessions
>- sessions per client
>
>- Can one application work with two or
>more aliases?
>
>- May I run concurrently two or more
>applications using different instances
>of BDE on the same machine?
>
>Thanks in advance for the answers.
>
>Carlos

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

Carlos Ottoni wrote:
- does two clients in a network, using the same delphi program, represent
two different sessions for BDE or just one session ?
each instance is a session.. if the BDE is installed on the local machine,
that's each instance on that machine.. if the BDE is installed on the server,
that's each instance over the whole network..
either way.. that can be 48 instances of the same app, or a combined 48
instances of different apps.. and those apps could be a combination of Delphi,
Paradox, cBuilder, GoldMine, etc..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

Steve,
The BDE is just a bunch of DLLs. Regardless of where the BDE files are
physically located they execute on each machine that loads a BDE app.
Therefore, the 48 session limit always applies to the number of BDE
sessions running on the local machine.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Bill Todd wrote:
Therefore, the 48 session limit always applies to the number of BDE
sessions running on the local machine.
ohhh.. I'm sure you've hit me in the face with that one before.. since
I've never run into that wall before, it never occured to me..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

Dears Steven Green and Bill Todd
Thank you for your great help (and thanks
to Quinn Wildmann, also). Now, things
became more clear to me.
I made such questions because I'll be
developing a greater system (compared
to the smallers I have developed before
with Delphi 6), in a network that will
probably grow from 10 to 200 users, on
a small company that works similar (but
not exactly) to a call center.
Since I haven't yet migrate to other
database alternative (still working with
BDE and Paradox), my intention is to
break the system in small and integrated
parts -- so I'll have groups (modules) of
20 PCs working as callers ids on the
front end, wich will transfer the caller's
phone numbers from their individual phone
lines to one central PC (for each group of
20 callers ids pcs there will be 1 central pc).
On the other hand, for all the group of central
PCs (1 to each 20 caller id pcs ), there will
be just one and main server, who will
collect and later (maybe in 1 minute) distribute
all the calls, in a reverse way, for later call
backs to the clients by the operators (on
the back end).
The small company (in São Paulo city - Brazil,
where exists about 5 million of pre-paid cells
users) will service clients of pre-paid cellular
phones and I expect, in a short time, to be
receiving more than 1.500 calls per hour, from
clients previously included in the database
(that will not be so big) and identified (name of
the client and some other data) by the main
server.
Can both of you, please, give me some hints
and advices [except move from BDE :-) ! ]
concerning such arrangement (below), to prevent
some kind of 'data collision' or crashes, in
working with the BDE in a universe of about
100.000 expected clients, that will call randomly
(not all each day) ?
group 1 group 10
--------- ---------
' 20 PCs' ' 20 PCs'
' Call Id ' .............. ' Call Id '
--------- ----------
' '
' '
v v
---------- ----------
' Central ' ' Central '
' PC 1 ' .............. ' PC 10 '
---------- ----------
' '
' '
-----------------------------------
'
'
------------
' Main '
' Server '
------------
'
'
----------------------------------
' '
' '
v v
--------- ---------
' Distrib.' ' Distrib '
'Central ' ' Central '
' PC 1 ' .............. ' PC 10 '
--------- ----------
' '
' '
v v
------------ -------------
' 20 PCs ' ' 20 PCs '
'of Call ' 'of Call '
' Operators' .............. ' Operators '
------------ --------------
Thank you, very much, in advance.
Carlos.

Re:BDE and Paradox Limits

I don't know about Steve but I will not. I think you are doing your client
a terrible disservice. Building an application of that scale with any file
server database is bad enough but using a file server database that is no
longer being developed or maintained is an invitation to disaster. IMHO
there is _no_ way that you can build a robust maintainable application
that will scale to 200 users using the BDE and Paradox tables.
--

Bill Todd wrote:
Building an application of that scale with any file server database is bad
enough but using a file server database that is no longer being developed or
maintained is an invitation to disaster.
I totally agree.. you should partner with somebody who has C/S Delphi
experience, and do it in a manner that will last..