Re: Anyone Wants the BDE Continue to be Bug Fixed?

2005-04-01 11:52:42 AM
off-topic3
But their techniques are also changing. DBExpress, then ADO.
Some of our new projects are already using ADO (still Delphi 6). But our
old applications are not.
If possible, I really hope that there is a tool that can replace the BDE
components with other database components automatically, and have clear
guidelines on how to migrate them easily in view of 2-tier application.
Best regards,
Chris Lee.
"C P" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
As I understand it, most of the BDE 'bugs' aren't so much bugs as they are
problems running the BDE on systems it wasn't designed to run on. Borland
has told us for a looooong time that we should be moving away from the
BDE.
WIth all the other technologies available (including ones from Borland) I
don't think it would make much sense to start new projects on the BDE
(even
if it was being bug-fixed). So that means that if Borland was to put
money
into the BDE it would be to support an ever-dwindling number of customers
who have legacy systems. Borland is first a for-profit company, and that
doesn't sound to me like a good way to make a profit.

Re:Re: Anyone Wants the BDE Continue to be Bug Fixed?

I agree. However, until someone comes up with a viable alternative
economic model for the software industry I do not see how things can
change.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:Re: Anyone Wants the BDE Continue to be Bug Fixed?

Borland totally ignores the old customers and is irresponsible for fixing
the bugs of BDE, and is not willing to open the source of BDE.
I don't know of any company that has a product (i.e. BDE) that was replaced
by something newer and better (dbExpress) 5+ years ago that still maintains
it and fixes the 5 year old software. Can you name one?
It just doesn't make good business sense to keep maintaing and fixing
ancient software (yes, 5 year old software is ancient in the software
world). Companies exist to make a profit, not to lose money. Yes, that
sucks a lot of times, but that is reality.
David R.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Anyone Wants the BDE Continue to be Bug Fixed?

Hi David,
While I fully agree with your comments I see things very differently and I
will use Microsoft (yep !!) as an Example.
The Win32 API was created 10+ years ago and has been maintained and in fact
improved time and again.
Borland created ODAPI which became IDAPI (note the API in the name). I do
not care about the underlying technology which is currently the BDE. What I
do care about is that Borland does not support the API and this is where
Borland has let us down.
Really what all users out there want is a compatible API which gives us
access to Paradox Tables *as well as* other Databases. This was the promise
of Borland all those years ago and was the reason why ALL of us used it in
the first place - Database Independance from the *same* code base.
So, if ADO is the way to go or DBexpress or whatever, Borland should be
releasing a version of IDAPI programming interface which would do the job.
This is why Common API's exist in the first place. I also think that it
would generate money for Borland as it would mean (if they did it right) you
could almost swap the IDAPI32.DLL and still have the older still in use
applications work - heaps of companies would buy it (and all of the Paradox
for Windows Users as well).
So the argument that the BDE makes no money is true - but thats not OUR
fault its theirs.
And I tell you something else, in our case they are forever going to lose
money. Why? Because never again will we buy Borland. Thats a loss of many
many tens of thousands in my company. If more of us spoke with our wallet
then perhaps Borland would get the message.
So Borland if you are listening (who am I kidding) - the BDE API (aka
ID-API) can make you money if you have a bit of vision and think about it.
My never to be repeated 2 cents worth on this topic......