Erorr when try to run BDE or applications that use BDE

2005-07-28 04:03:39 AM
off-topic19
Hi,
I have an application that is using BDE.
First I have found that in order to install BDE on a computer you have to
have administrator rights in order to do it.
When I try to run that application, everything is fine if the user has
administrator rights to local computer.
If the user is a regular user, I am receiving an error saying:
Cannot load an IDAPI service library. File: SQLORA8.DLL Alias:dbTest
Does anybody know how to solve this problem?
When I gave administrator rights to the user everything was ok. But our
customers do not want this because of security reasons.
TIA
Costica

Re:Erorr when try to run BDE or applications that use BDE

Give the user read/write access to the HKLM\Software\Borland\Database
Engine registry key and the BDE directory.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Erorr when try to run BDE or applications that use BDE

Bill,
Thanks for your quick answer.
Unfortunately does not work. I've tested on XP SP2 and W2k workstation. I
gave full control to Users group in the registry and the BDE folder.
More ideas?
Costica
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Give the user read/write access to the HKLM\Software\Borland\Database
Engine registry key and the BDE directory.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:Erorr when try to run BDE or applications that use BDE

Unfortunately does not work. I've tested on XP SP2 and W2k workstation. I
gave full control to Users group in the registry and the BDE folder.
More ideas?
Are you sure about the BDE folder? Look for SQLORA8.DLL. It should be in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE. Is that the folder that
you gave users rights to?
David R.

Re:Erorr when try to run BDE or applications that use BDE

Do you still get the same error?
Is SQLORA8.DLL in the BDE directory?
Is the Oracle client installed on that machine?
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Costica Moldovanu wrote:
I have an application that is using BDE.
First I have found that in order to install BDE on a computer you have to
have administrator rights in order to do it.
When I try to run that application, everything is fine if the user has
administrator rights to local computer.
If the user is a regular user, I am receiving an error saying:
Cannot load an IDAPI service library. File: SQLORA8.DLL Alias:dbTest
Does anybody know how to solve this problem?
When I gave administrator rights to the user everything was ok. But our
customers do not want this because of security reasons.

TIA
Costica

I'm not sure that this will help but I always give ALL USERS read/write
access to the \windows\temp\ folder
Regards
Phil

Re:Erorr when try to run BDE or applications that use BDE

Problem solved:
1. You have to give read/write access to BDE and Oracle bin folders
2. You have to give full control on BDE registry entry
Thanks to everybody