Restoring StarTeam Server configuration and testing backup

2006-03-23 12:43:53 AM
off-topic11
I'm surprised! I'm very surprised!
I can find necessary information about backing up of StarTeam Server configuration
but in the documentation no any information about restoring from backup.
How should I do that? Currently in borland.public.install.starteam news group
is a message with help request relative to restore server from backup on
a new machine. A man has a problem with DB GUID.
So my qustion is:
What is right procedure for restoring StarTeam server configuration from
backup on old machine and a new machine?
As well I don't understand how can I test backup. I think it consists from
restoring backup and run some test on it. What is test procedure? How can
i be shure that backup is done correctly? How can I automate it?

Re:Restoring StarTeam Server configuration and testing backup

Well, seems like nobody knows how to do it :)) Perfect!
[...]

Restoring a StarTeam server from backup is (generally) as follows:
1 - restore database
2 - restore vault
3 - restore server config file
4 - start it up
5 - test it
If it's a new machine, then you'll also need to
- Install the StarTeam server program first
- Create the odbc connection manually
Some of the particulars may different for different versions of StarTeam.
DB GUID problems usually result from forgetting the server config file.
"Yakushkov Mikhail" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm surprised! I'm very surprised!

I can find necessary information about backing up of StarTeam Server
configuration but in the documentation no any information about restoring
from backup. How should I do that? Currently in
borland.public.install.starteam news group is a message with help request
relative to restore server from backup on a new machine. A man has a
problem with DB GUID.

So my qustion is:
What is right procedure for restoring StarTeam server configuration from
backup on old machine and a new machine?

As well I don't understand how can I test backup. I think it consists from
restoring backup and run some test on it. What is test procedure? How can
i be shure that backup is done correctly? How can I automate it?

{smallsort}

Re:Restoring StarTeam Server configuration and testing backup

Restoring a StarTeam server from backup is (generally) as follows:
1 - restore database
2 - restore vault
3 - restore server config file
4 - start it up
5 - test it
If it's a new machine, then you'll also need to
- Install the StarTeam server program first
- Create the odbc connection manually
Some of the particulars may different for different versions of
StarTeam.

DB GUID problems usually result from forgetting the server config
file.
Ok, thank you a lot. But I can see here a trap. What if try to restore a
server configuration on a machine already has server any configurations?
I lost old configurations! It happens because information about all configurations
of the server contain in a single file starteam-server-configs.xml! I think
there should be a recomendation about such a trap - don't just replace this
file but edit it's content. Probably you need to backup and restore only
a section of this file containing information about backing up configuration.
It's easy to do and automate because this is an xml-file.
As well there should be a way to restore server GUID and other configuration's
information because it should be stored somewhere in the database. And again
it's possible to automate.
Am I on a right way?

Re:Restoring StarTeam Server configuration and testing backup

Restoring a StarTeam server from backup is (generally) as follows:
1 - restore database
2 - restore vault
3 - restore server config file
4 - start it up
5 - test it
Still I've got a qustion: how can I TEST restored server configuration? Of
course I can perform a smoke test but how do you do an advanced test?

Re:Restoring StarTeam Server configuration and testing backup

You test all of your regular operations.
Check out various current and historical configurations of your main
projects
Run your build process
etc etc etc