Re: BorCon is now DevCon

2005-03-23 12:45:40 AM
off-topic17
Brion L. Webster wrote:
I still have a notepad full of scribbles as I was desparately
trying to write down what he was saying - and I still can't make
sense of it <g>
Me, too. Maybe we should compare scribbles. :)

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

"John Kaster (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:423e3564$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
Yes, after all the times I spoke there, even before Delphi, it's
strange I've not been there since before Delphi 5 was launched :(
Dont know what to say.... Are you submitting each year? :)
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Thomas Steinmaurer < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
I attended the German Entwickler conference as a speaker last year, and
it was both interesting and fun. ;-)
Didnt mean to slight EKON. EKON is very good as well. Ive spoken there for 5-
6 years, but for personal reasons had to send someone in my place last year.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

{smallsort}

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu wrote:
Dont know what to say.... Are you submitting each year? :)
No, because Borland EMEA has been representing Borland there, rather
than Borland DevRel, and they would have had to pay for me to come over.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

info.borland.com/conf2005/c4p/tracks.html 3rd Paragraph down.
"Although, some coverage of SDO and enterprise products will be included in
the Conference program, a separate Enterprise Essentials Conference is also
planned with more complete coverage of these topics. "
--Justin Narracott
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Brion L. Webster wrote:

>No Management Track? No SDO Track?

Please refer to the last line in the C4P page:

info.borland.com/conf2005/c4p/tracks.html

ie

"You are by no means restricted to the topics suggested here or to the
identified categories. We welcome abstracts on any topics that you
think will be of interest."

ie just because there isn't a "track" doesn't mean something won't be
submitted/accepted/presented on it.

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Justin Narracott wrote:
info.borland.com/conf2005/c4p/tracks.html 3rd Paragraph down.

"Although, some coverage of SDO and enterprise products will be
included in the Conference program, a separate Enterprise Essentials
Conference is also planned with more complete coverage of these
topics. "
Thanks for confirming how badly Borland is approaching developers with
the SDO message. I read this as, "Don't you mind -- this is for the big
guys to use."
I really, really hope this isn't what Borland marketing actually
believes, because it's a fact that small shops are as badly in need of
business process automation and role-based tools as big companies.
I feel a blog post coming on....
-Craig
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
news server: info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:42417162$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Justin Narracott wrote:

>info.borland.com/conf2005/c4p/tracks.html 3rd Paragraph down.
>
>"Although, some coverage of SDO and enterprise products will be
>included in the Conference program, a separate Enterprise Essentials
>Conference is also planned with more complete coverage of these
>topics. "

Thanks for confirming how badly Borland is approaching developers with
the SDO message. I read this as, "Don't you mind -- this is for the big
guys to use."

I really, really hope this isn't what Borland marketing actually
believes, because it's a fact that small shops are as badly in need of
business process automation and role-based tools as big companies.

<snip>
Being a humble techie; I am sure someone from marketing will clarify this
:-)
"process automation" -- hey have you been reading my abstracts before I have
even sent them ;-)
--Justin Narracott
I feel a blog post coming on....

-Craig

Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
news server: info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" wrote

[...] the SDO message. I read this as, "Don't you mind -- this
is for the big guys to use."

I really, really hope this isn't what Borland marketing actually
believes, because it's a fact that small shops are as badly in
need of business process automation and role-based tools as
big companies.
Of course--but can they afford them?
I'm not so much convinced it's a matter of need as a matter of economics. As
dev tools per se become commodities, dev tool sellers are looking for margin
in the only place they can--the collaboration/team integration
arena--process, requirements tracking, etc. It's never been a question of
who needs it--only who has the deep pockets.
Bottom line--Themis et. al. are moving the to "a separate Enterprise
Essentials Conference" because those are the only people likely to be able
to afford them.
Not specifically a Borland issue, incidentally--how about a copy of VS for
over ten grand? msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vs2005/compare/
bobD

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Bob Dawson wrote:
>I really, really hope this isn't what Borland marketing actually
>believes, because it's a fact that small shops are as badly in
>need of business process automation and role-based tools as
>big companies.

Of course--but can they afford them?
It's hard to say, since they haven't been released yet. I will note
that after Borland acquired StarBase the cost of a basic StarTeam
system plummeted from over five figures to being free with D2005 E+.
But your question is relevant, and it's certainly one way that the
marketing folks can send the right message. I'll include this in my
blog rant.
-Craig
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
spx

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
Thanks for confirming how badly Borland is approaching developers
with the SDO message.
I tend to disagree. While I think the SDO process is important, and we
certainly preach it to our customers, I'm very interested in a
conference that has a strong developer bent to it. Not that SDO isn't
important to developers, but I'm more interested in things like Danny's
tea leaves talk -- stuff purely for development geeks.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
Not that SDO isn't
important to developers, but I'm more interested in things like
Danny's tea leaves talk -- stuff purely for development geeks.
I certainly wouldn't want to see a developer conference which was 100%
SDO anymore than I want to see a developer conference which is 100%
Delphi (really).

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

I tend to disagree. While I think the SDO process is important, and we
certainly preach it to our customers, I'm very interested in a
conference that has a strong developer bent to it. Not that SDO isn't
important to developers, but I'm more interested in things like Danny's
tea leaves talk -- stuff purely for development geeks.
Since the Del/Inprise days the conference has had *way* too much focus on
enterprise stuff IMO. I've heard Dale say "we aren't going to forget the
developers" every year since 1999, but the conference was really more
focused on enterprise developers IMO.
I think it's a great idea to split them up. This way the developers can
have a focused development conference and the big companies that can afford
to spend $100,000+ on Borland enterprise tools can have their conference
too.
Yes, I do think SDO is important and I think small companies need business
process automation, but I agree with Nick, I'd rather have a hard-core
focused development conference that is more techncial and less Borland
marketing their enterprise tools that I'll probably never use.
David R.

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
I want to see a developer conference which is 100%
Delphi (really).
I personally wouldn't mind that.
--

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

>I want to see a developer conference which is 100%
>Delphi (really).

I personally wouldn't mind that.
Um, for the benefit of anyone who didn't read my quoted message,
that's a pretty bad misquote of what I actually said. In fact, I said
the opposite.
-Craig