Newbie Q on Deploying to WindowsXP

2003-11-10 09:07:20 PM
off-topic9
Dear group !
I'm currently trying to deploy a small database application on a PC
running Winxp. As I'm absolutely new to that OS I'm running into some
problems, which I'm sure are trivial to those who know how to go about
those things. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people :-).
My problem : I need to install my application on a machine which is to
be used by different persons with different rights.... administrator and
users. When I install the application with administrator rights (I
need to have that) I'm unable to log in as a user and use the app. I
cannot seem to find the BDE.
So : Where and how should I install the BDE'
Where and how should I install the data files
Where and how should I install the ecxecutable.
As my problem involves the installation of the BDE, I trust that I'm not
too off topic. I'm aware that the problem might relate to my lack of
understanding the functionality and organization of the OS. If so I'd
appreciate a pointer to the relevant rescources/newsgroup.
best regards
Flemming Malm

Re:Newbie Q on Deploying to WindowsXP

Flemming,
I have the same problem. This problem has been around, I have not
found an answer yet.
Did you see this email?
groups.google.com/groups&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3de83179%241%40newsgroups.borland.com&rnum=1
Lets keep in touch.
Marcelo
FM < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<w7Mrb.2673$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
[...]

Sure. I'll post if I solve the prob. There seems to be a valid hint in
the thread below. So far I'm fumbling through by "up"grading this
XP-horror to '98 so my program can run
Thanks for replying though
Flemming
Marc wrote:
Flemming,
I have the same problem. This problem has been around, I have not
found an answer yet.

Did you see this email?
groups.google.com/groups&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3de83179%241%40newsgroups.borland.com&rnum=1

Lets keep in touch.
Marcelo

FM < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<w7Mrb.2673$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...

>Dear group !
>
>I'm currently trying to deploy a small database application on a PC
>running Winxp. As I'm absolutely new to that OS I'm running into some
>problems, which I'm sure are trivial to those who know how to go about
>those things. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people :-).
>
>My problem : I need to install my application on a machine which is to
>be used by different persons with different rights.... administrator and
>users. When I install the application with administrator rights (I
>need to have that) I'm unable to log in as a user and use the app. I
>cannot seem to find the BDE.
>
>So : Where and how should I install the BDE'
>Where and how should I install the data files
>Where and how should I install the ecxecutable.
>
>As my problem involves the installation of the BDE, I trust that I'm not
>too off topic. I'm aware that the problem might relate to my lack of
>understanding the functionality and organization of the OS. If so I'd
>appreciate a pointer to the relevant rescources/newsgroup.
>
>best regards
>Flemming Malm

{smallsort}

Re:Newbie Q on Deploying to WindowsXP

Flemming,
I am solving the problem using InstallShield and a somehow convoluted
process for now:
1. See the following Registry setups link.
"HOWTO: Creating an Installation That Always Installs Regardless of
User Privileges" at support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp
explains how to run an installation on a target machine regardless of
user privileges
2. Login as Administrator. Install YourApp path under C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\YourApp.
3. Make these changes on the target/user's machine
-launch the BDE administrator from the control panel and under
Configuretion->Drivers->Native->Paradox set the "NET DIR" Path entry
to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\YourApp.
Make sure to click the clockwise blue arrow to make the change
effective. Exit.
- Right click on YourApp Directory. The property panel shows.
under Properties->security, Add to "Users" the "Modify" privileges
and click on the Apply button.
-On some machines we have to do same as above on the BDE directory
location, in my case the BDE install under c:\Program Files\Common
Files\Borland Shared\ BDE.
Marcelo

Marc wrote:
>Flemming,
>I have the same problem. This problem has been around, I have not
>found an answer yet.
>
>Did you see this email?
>groups.google.com/groups&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3de83179%241%40newsgroups.borland.com&rnum=1
>
>Lets keep in touch.
>Marcelo
>
>FM < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<w7Mrb.2673$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
>
>>Dear group !
>>
>>I'm currently trying to deploy a small database application on a PC
>>running Winxp. As I'm absolutely new to that OS I'm running into some
>>problems, which I'm sure are trivial to those who know how to go about
>>those things. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people :-).
>>
>>My problem : I need to install my application on a machine which is to
>>be used by different persons with different rights.... administrator and
>>users. When I install the application with administrator rights (I
>>need to have that) I'm unable to log in as a user and use the app. I
>>cannot seem to find the BDE.
>>
>>So : Where and how should I install the BDE'
>>Where and how should I install the data files
>>Where and how should I install the ecxecutable.
>>
>>As my problem involves the installation of the BDE, I trust that I'm not
>>too off topic. I'm aware that the problem might relate to my lack of
>>understanding the functionality and organization of the OS. If so I'd
>>appreciate a pointer to the relevant rescources/newsgroup.
>>
>>best regards
>>Flemming Malm

Re:Newbie Q on Deploying to WindowsXP

Excellent Marc !
I'll have a go at it immediately. I'll post when I've completed the
installations.
Thanks so far
Flemming