Re: BorCon is now DevCon

2005-03-22 04:44:54 AM
off-topic15
Brion L. Webster wrote:
I know I'm not supposed to feel this way, but SDO seems marketed
to managers as a way to "wrangle those cowboy developers". I get
the feeling that developers are finally being put in their place,
or reduced, smaked down, etc.
Based on the marketing material Borland has released thus far, I can't
blame you for feeling this way. Borland has badly failed to show
developers the relevance of the SDO vision.
I have communicated this concern to some folks in charge.
-Craig
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

>I know I'm not supposed to feel this way, but SDO seems marketed
>to managers as a way to "wrangle those cowboy developers". I get
>the feeling that developers are finally being put in their place,
>or reduced, smaked down, etc.

Based on the marketing material Borland has released thus far, I can't
blame you for feeling this way. Borland has badly failed to show
developers the relevance of the SDO vision.

I have communicated this concern to some folks in charge.

-Craig
Am I alone in thinking this smells like freshly shoveled Inprise

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Ray Andrews wrote:
Am I alone in thinking this smells like freshly shoveled Inprise
Probably not, although IMHO that's a miscommunication on Borland's
part. I don't think it's *in fact* Inprise-redux. But one could be
forgiven for drawing that conclusion from the promotional materials.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
news server: info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

{smallsort}

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Borland has badly failed to show
developers the relevance of the SDO vision.
Although to be fair, this can be a difficult sell :-)
The ones who understand the relevance don't need to be convinced, and
those that don't are *really* difficult to explain it to, IME
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" wrote

SDO certainly applies to the products at DevCon, AFAICS.
Certainly. On the other hand, I seem to recall Borland being criticised in
the past for having 'too much manager stuff' and not enough
technical/programming content at BorCon. Hence the 'refocus on developers'
pitch.
Whether this separation is a good idea or not is an open question--many of
us wear multiple hats, and I don't think being proud about being a developer
means "not worrying my pretty little head" about SDO.
bobD

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

"Ray Andrews" wrote

Am I alone in thinking this smells like freshly shoveled Inprise
Inprise arguably lost some connection with the developer while chasing the
'Enterprise' market. Might be that narrowing the focus of DevCon squarely on
developers is a sign that we're /not/ seeing Inprise redux.
bobD

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Brion L. Webster wrote:
I hope to be pleasantly surprised, I really do. But if Borland's
new big thing is SDO, with a whole new toolset to improve Project
Management, I would have expected it to be highlighted.
I would be extremely surprised if SDO matter isn't presented at this
years BorCon.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Bob Dawson wrote:
many of
us wear multiple hats, and I don't think being proud about being a developer
means "not worrying my pretty little head" about SDO.
Agreed, I belong to the group with more than one hat.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Bob Dawson wrote:
Might be that narrowing the focus of DevCon squarely on
developers is a sign that we're not seeing Inprise redux.
I'm delighted by the new focus of DevCon.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" wrote

I'm delighted by the new focus of DevCon.
And I'm giving it at least the benefit of the doubt. There's just not enough
information available to start reading the tea leaves yet.
bobD

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Bob Dawson wrote:
There's just not enough
information available to start reading the tea leaves yet.
That's a great idea ... maybe we should have Danny do his low-level
debugging talk again.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Hi Bob,
>>I've never envied the board their job of selecting speakers/sessions.
>

>There is no Advisory Board this year.

I'm sorry to hear that. And I'm afraid BorCon 2004 might have been the
last one I attended. Too bad I didn't know that at the time (should have
said more goodbyes). It's been more than great fun since the first one I
attended in 1993 in San Diego. And I'll never forget (B)Orlando either!

Oh well. Hope to see you at a European Borland DevCon (or one of the
German Entwickler conferences, or the UK Developers' Group events, etc.
etc.).
I attended the German Entwickler conference as a speaker last year, and
it was both interesting and fun. ;-)
Regards,
Thomas

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Jim Cooper wrote:
>Borland has badly failed to show
>developers the relevance of the SDO vision.

Although to be fair, this can be a difficult sell :-)

The ones who understand the relevance don't need to be convinced,
I'm not sure that's the case. Given the materials on borland.com right
now, IMHO one could be forgiven for having a difficult time figuring
out what SDO *is*. Yes, if they new what it was they might not need
convincing, but that's *if*.
-Craig
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
That's a great idea ... maybe we should have Danny do his low-level
debugging talk again.
That alone would be worth the cost of admission. No kidding -- it's
the single best BorCon session I've attended, and sufficiently dense to
justify seeing it multiple times.
-Craig
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
Yes, if they new what it was they might not need
convincing, but that's if.
"Yes, if they knew..."
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

>That's a great idea ... maybe we should have Danny do his
>low-level debugging talk again.

That alone would be worth the cost of admission. No kidding --
it's the single best BorCon session I've attended, and
sufficiently dense to justify seeing it multiple times.
I still have a notepad full of scribbles as I was desparately
trying to write down what he was saying - and I still can't make
sense of it <g>
-Brion