BDE / Delphi Access Violations...

2007-09-30 04:57:27 AM
off-topic14
Currently using BDE and Delphi 5 against dbase files.
Lately, my clients have been experiencing Access Violations as the
application does Open table and Setkey / GotoKey functions.
These are intermittent to me but come up daily for my clients.
The application size is a 13,800 kb, has 300 forms. Windows Memory Usage
has been as high as 20 - 40 meg.
Current BDE Settings:
Paradox Lev 4
Dbase Level 5
Local Share = True
Low Mem Usage = 48
Max BufSize = 2048
Max File Handles = 60
MTS Pooling = False
Shared Mem Location = 7000
Share Mem Size = 4096
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
--
Tony Nasca
Dove Net Technologies, LLC

Re:BDE / Delphi Access Violations...

Anthony Nasca wrote:
Lately, my clients have been experiencing Access Violations as the
application does Open table and Setkey / GotoKey functions.
In your app? In one of the BDE DLL's? Almost all access violations are
caused by referencing an object instance that has not been created or
has been destroyed.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Anthony Nasca wrote:

>Lately, my clients have been experiencing Access Violations as the
>application does Open table and Setkey / GotoKey functions.

In your app? In one of the BDE DLL's? Almost all access violations are
caused by referencing an object instance that has not been created or
has been destroyed.
I do not call all DLL directly. My application is an exe file with Ttables
and I open, sent index, do setkey / gotokey, etc. Granted it's a large
multi user application and places a lot of demands on the workstation.
Are there tools that I can use to monitor resources, etc., to so see where
I'm exceeding some sort of limitation. Most times the user can re-boot and
then my ap starts working well for a while and then after time, we start
getting these violations.
Thanks.

Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Anthony Nasca wrote:
I do not call all DLL directly. My application is an exe file with
Ttables and I open, sent index, do setkey / gotokey, etc. Granted
it's a large multi user application and places a lot of demands on
the workstation.
An AV occurs when you try to reference an invalid memory location. It
can be caused by trying to reference an object instance that is not
currently instantiated or dereferencing a pointer that points to a
memory address that is outside the memory allocated to your
application. AVs, AFAIK, are not cause by hitting resource limits.

www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)