working with branches in eclipse with starteam

2006-11-23 01:27:57 AM
off-topic12
Hello
I have Eclipse 3.2 and the starteam plugin.
Can someone explain me how the branch system and the working folder works with the starteam plugin?
I read all the docs, the concepts are clear, but how these concepts (branches, working folders...) are applied in eclipse are a bit...confusing.
With the starteam client, when I create a branching view the wizard told me to choose a different default working directory than the parent view.
OK
In eclipse I start to work with the parent view. I checkout the project in the default working directory, no problem.
But when I want to switch to the branching view, the default working directory stay the same...? that is against the starteam recommandations for default working directory (two view using the same directory).
thanks

Re:working with branches in eclipse with starteam

"florian" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Hello
I have Eclipse 3.2 and the starteam plugin.
Can someone explain me how the branch system and the working folder works with the starteam plugin?
I read all the docs, the concepts are clear, but how these concepts (branches, working folders...) are applied in eclipse are a bit...confusing.
With the starteam client, when I create a branching view the wizard told me to choose a different default working directory than the parent view.
OK
In eclipse I start to work with the parent view. I checkout the project in the default working directory, no problem.
But when I want to switch to the branching view, the default working directory stay the same...? that is against the starteam recommandations for default working directory (two view using the same directory).

thanks
First of all, you must use two different directories.
To work with branches, it's better to understand with an example. You can have two branches of the same project: development and stable. Your team are working in development branch and you put stable units in your stable branch using "View - Compare/Merge". It's like you have two projects and you pass files from one to another.
Obviously, you can apply this to more branches, for some states/versions of your project, differents customers, ...
The utility Merge/Compare is powerful, but you must habituate to understand how it works.
Xiber.