Re: Short summary of my impressions

2004-09-23 06:04:20 AM
off-topic3
There were brownies, and ho-hos (aka ding-dongs or king dons), and taffee,
and pixy stix and smarties ...
infinitetape.blogspot.com/2004/09/goodies-part-2.html
and some strange thing I think someone
identified as "fruit". Not sure what that was, but chocolate sauce on
some
of the red bumpy ones was quite tasty!
infinitetape.blogspot.com/2004/09/these-guys-sure-know-their-audience.html
Sorry if the pics aren't great quality, but I was trying to finish taking
the shots and start eating the food :-)
-BR

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
The biggest complaint about the closing session in the past is that
it /was/ what Ingvar asked for. ;-)
How do you know, we are supposed to submit the Borcon evaluation form
before the closing session, aren't we? <g>
Well, there is a limit for how much Borland should be guided by such
"complaints". I attend rather many festivals, conferences etc. each
year, and all of them have a solemn closing session.
When we talk about a Conference at this level and quality, I believe
many feel something is missing if it is not rounded up with some kind of
a serious ceremonial. Especially those who have a long way home, I would
think.
Those who feel bored can leave before it is over.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Phyllis Helton wrote:
Ingvar Nilsen wrote:

>Yes, and not yours <evg>

No. Not someone else's. I like my 100% record. <g>
Well, are you going to see if all good things are three?
Wonder how my bucks slipped away. I attended almost everything possible,
I even traded a Tuesday drink ticket in a Borland Buck, in vain :-\
I think this sounds good. I was surprised by the closing ceremony as
well, as it did seem more like a quick "here's the prizes now go
home" session instead. . .
Yes, it was a {*word*218}.
Let's plan for an optional closing ceremony next year, just in case :-)
I would have liked them to say something about the next conference as
well.
That's normal for annual happenings.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Ho Ho's are divine. Ding Dong's are tasteless.
Really? I'll have to search out the Ho Ho. I think Ding Dongs are pretty
devine. (No matter how I type that it doesn't sound the way I mean it.)
--
Iman

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
As you probably know, I am not a native English speaker,
I understand -- forgive me for having a chuckle at your expense.
"Solemn" would be something that might describe how you feel after, for
example, a funeral.
Maybe you meant "memorable"?
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
>Ho Ho's are divine. Ding Dong's are tasteless.

Really? I'll have to search out the Ho Ho. I think Ding Dongs
are pretty devine. (No matter how I type that it doesn't sound
the way I mean it.)
Ding dong's are shaped like hockey pucks. It's a problem from the
design on up. Then again, I don't like the Hostess Cupcakes
either. Perhaps it's just the creme to cake ratio, or
distributions.
A Ho ho is a distant cousin of a jelly roll. It starts out with a
rectangle of chocolate cake, spread with a layer of creme filling.
This is then rolled into a tube, with approximately 2.5 turns, then
dipped in a chocolate shell. Somewhere in here is some chocolate
powder, I believe.
Come to think of it, it's probably a lot to do with the creme
distribution. There's creme filling all along the length of the
snack. Mmmmm....
-Brion

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
IMO, the closing session is as good part of the conference as any
other session. We know when it starts and when it ends, and have to
book our transportation in accordance with that. How can it conflict
with transportation to the airport? If it ends at 04, I book my flight
according to that. Does it end at 05? Well, I look for a later plane.
I just book my flight for the next day. That supposedly gives me time
to relax before heading home, or at least I don't have to think about
packing until the conference is over. . .
--
Phyllis

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Jim Cooper wrote:
They used to do that. I suppose we can infer from the fact that they
didn't say that a final decision has yet to be made.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper
That is how I interpreted that, though at least "see you next year"
would have been nice.
By the way, I spoke personally to one of the advisory board members
about your speaker shirt. He said that you are guaranteed to get one
next year IF you get your papers turned in on time. <g>
--
Phyllis

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Brion L. Webster wrote:
Majority? Either that's a typo, or you just totally 180'd?
Shush.. you really had to see this? <g>
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
Yes, you may have this feeling I talk about if the dead person has
lived a long and rich life and dies in peace.
I know exactly what you mean, but can't come up with the English word
either.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Brion L. Webster wrote:
Honestly, by the time the closing session rolled around, I've never
been more mentally exhausted in my life. I wouldn't have the
patience to sit through a serious session, especially not a long
speech.
There is a difference between shaving and cutting your head off. I did
not say a "long" speech.
And I don't understand why someone can be more mentally exhausted before
the closing session than any other session after noon on Wednesday.
I also don't understand why Borland does not make this session as
valuable as any other session, like the key notes, openings,
preconference tutorials, evening events etc.
What is the difference between this session and the others?
IMO, the closing session is as good part of the conference as any other
session. We know when it starts and when it ends, and have to book our
transportation in accordance with that. How can it conflict with
transportation to the airport? If it ends at 04, I book my flight
according to that. Does it end at 05? Well, I look for a later plane.
In the same manner we go to this session if we think it is valuable for
us - or we just skip it. For me, if I understand it will be like that
next year, I rather prefer a walk in the Californian sun :)
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
One thing I can promise, either way, is that whatever happens, the
closing session won't be "solemn". ;-)
As you probably know, I am not a native English speaker, and my
dictionary is not accurate enough here to make me express exactly what I
mean in this case. Sorry about that.
What I am after is not necessarily a "solemn" program, but a program
generating a "solemn" feeling that stays long after the conference has
ended.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 06:08 pm, Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
...I attend rather many festivals, conferences etc. each
year, and all of them have a solemn closing session.
Most conferences I attend do not have closing sessions.
--
Ray Lischner, author of C++ in a Nutshell
www.tempest-sw.com/cpp

Re:Re: Short summary of my impressions

Hi Phyllis:
sorry you didn't get your laptop or maybe I didn't have enough faith! Stay
in touch
Chris Cheah
"Phyllis Helton" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Brion L. Webster wrote:

>With all the new stuff, all the e{*word*277}ment of meeting real people
>behind newsgroup names, trying to fit in BOF's at 6 am, sessions
>that last till 23:00, find time in the computer lab or at the hotel
>to check email... Borcon is wonderful - but I couldn't survive
>more than one a year, even if my employer would pay for it.
>
>-Brion

I didn't think it should be a lot longer, just to have a feeling of
being more complete. When I walked away, I felt like maybe the session
wasn't really over yet and that leaving would mean I was missing
something. <g>I especially missed the announcement of the next
conference.

I don't think I could survive more than once a year either. Though I
ended up passing up all the 7:00 am BOFs because of staying up too late
the nights before. Working, of course.

--
Phyllis

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
I understand -- forgive me for having a chuckle at your expense.
No problem :)
"Solemn" would be something that might describe how you feel after,
for example, a funeral.
Yes, you may have this feeling I talk about if the dead person has lived
a long and rich life and dies in peace.
But not after someone dying in an accident.
Maybe you meant "memorable"?
Not exactly.
I meant høytidelig - högtid.
If any Norwegian or Anders sees this, maybe they / he can chime in and
help me.
--
Ingvar Nilsen