strange error!

2004-08-24 07:14:53 PM
off-topic6
Hi,
We have developed an application using BDE 5.11, D5 and Oracle 8.1.7 on
W2000. It works ok.
When executing an sql statement, sometimes (maybe once a month) a strange
error occurs:
Corrupt Memo/Blob File (BDE errorcode 8963)
File: c:\docume~1\UAA573\LOCALS~1\temp\e\INMEM685.REM (BDE errorcode
9475)
-->"c:\doc.....\temp\e" is the Windows tempdir (i assume) and "685" can be
a different number.
The error occurs with lot of users at the same time. When the users close en
restart the application the error is gone....
Does anybody know what this can be?
NB: BDE Error 9475 is "unsufficient disk space", but there is enough space
(3,6 Gb)!
Thanx,
Johan Rudolphus
The Netherlands

Re:strange error!

Johan wrote:
Corrupt Memo/Blob File (BDE errorcode 8963)
File: c:\docume~1\UAA573\LOCALS~1\temp\e\INMEM685.REM (BDE errorcode
9475)
that's the file that the BDE uses to record concurrent sessions.. if the BDE is
loaded on the local drive, the "685" means that station is running multiple apps
(the first one will be "000", the others will be random numbers other than
"000").. or that prior instances have aborted abnormally.. if there's only one
app/session, and it closes properly, there will only be "000", and it will go
away when the app/session goes away..
hey, David Robinson.. looks like I'm the one that should have looked first, the
other day <g>
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:strange error!

I'm affraid this is the multiple of 4Gig disk space problem. This error occurs when the BDE calls GetFreeDiskSpace at the time there is (n * 4) gigs of disk space free. It incorrectly returns 0. There is little you can do other than monitor the diskspace and create temporary files to push the free space below or above the 4gig boundary. The large number of users is a red herring. I'm surprised Stephen didnt mention this as it is probably one of the most frequently occuring posts in this newsgroup.

{smallsort}

Re:strange error!

Ian wrote:
I'm surprised Stephen didnt mention this as it is probably one of the most frequently occuring posts in this newsgroup.
your guess that this may be related to the 4 gig thing is, of course, possible, but his problem does not appear to be anything like that at all.. and it's a very unusual scenario..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:strange error!

Hi Steven,
We used to see this same message all the time with our system and can reproduce it within minutes by starting up a BDE app where we only have 4/8/12 gig free for example. We now control the free diskspace with a simultaneously running app.
We are currently in the processes of implementing the patch that appeared on here a while back and will let you know how we got on.
Ian.

Re:strange error!

ian wrote:
We used to see this same message all the time with our system and can reproduce it within minutes by starting up a BDE app where we only have 4/8/12 gig free for example.
very interesting.. I can't recall ever seeing that particular type of error, in that context, before.. thanks for the info..
We are currently in the processes of implementing the patch that appeared on here a while back and will let you know how we got on.
also thanks.. we've had very few reviews, and they've been mixed..