Duplicate reports in QC

2007-12-11 04:47:59 PM
off-topic5
Hi,
Seeing today a somewhat 'familiar' issue (QC#55811) about extending the 'case'
statement, my attention was drawn by the form in which Jordan wrote it. Istm that he
didn't know that in QC are already some reports on the theme. Doing a quick research
I found some interesting facts:
1. There are more reports about extending 'case' on strings/non-ordinal types, most
of them aren't marked as duplicates and only few of them are promoted internally. My
suggestion is to mark all as duplicates. Reports (votes in braces): #610 (16), #11274
(24), #5369 (0) - Dupe of #610, #4216 (2). Also, on the same theme, but somewhat
different: #4216
2. Adding all the votes (by marking the duplicates) it makes 42 votes which means
that it will be #14 in Top Voted reports. Perhaps we'll have it in Tiburon? :-)
hth,
--
m. th.

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. wrote:
Doing a quick research I found some interesting facts:
Are you interested in becoming a QC sysop?
--
John Kaster blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: dn.codegear.com

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. wrote:
Seeing today a somewhat 'familiar' issue (QC#55811) about extending the 'case'
statement, my attention was drawn by the form in which Jordan wrote it. Istm that he
didn't know that in QC are already some reports on the theme.
Really? I don't see any other reports concerning "case" and Int64.
--
Jordan Russell

{smallsort}

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

Jordan Russell wrote:
m. Th. wrote:
>Seeing today a somewhat 'familiar' issue (QC#55811) about extending the 'case'
>statement, my attention was drawn by the form in which Jordan wrote it. Istm that he
>didn't know that in QC are already some reports on the theme.

Really? I don't see any other reports concerning "case" and Int64.

Imho, the real solution is/was not to throw a warning/error but to support a
full-fledged 'case' implementation which support 'any' data type for which a 'equal'
predicate can be defined. Int64 is clearly in the above category.
Perhaps I was wrong in my deduction (please excuse me) but I thought that if you'd
saw one of the reports with a broader coverage (#11274 for ex.) then you would
support that one.
just my 2c,
--
m. th.

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

John Kaster (CodeGear) wrote:
m. Th. wrote:

>Doing a quick research I found some interesting facts:

Are you interested in becoming a QC sysop?

Um, as you wish. :-) Anyway, I'll do this job when I'll have time. (Imho, your main
problem is to motivate the sysops, otherwise you won't see results). Thanks a lot for
the invitation though. But imho there are other 'interesting' things in the QC to
mention. If you're interested, I can point you several of them. Regarding to our
thread, it shows a 'disease' of QC (and of any tracker in a similar environment, for
that matter) which is lack of collaboration due to the formal nature of such a
tracker (more on request) which leads to sparse pieces of the same feature. Imho,
rather than steering on putting more sysops on this, (even, of course, this will not
harm <g>) perhaps it's nice to think a little bit about these problems and their
cures (in the case of our disease, imho, a tracker pre-filtering by a buddy-ng would
do - more on request). Btw, you can see the same effect (sparse reports) with 'multi
line strings'.
hth,
--
m. th.

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. wrote:
Um, as you wish. :-)
What's a QC report you've submitted?
--

John Kaster (CodeGear) wrote:
m. Th. wrote:

>Um, as you wish. :-)

What's a QC report you've submitted?
Report No: 55762 Status: Reported
Drop down form
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 55739 Status: Reported
Add SQLite DBX driver
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 55546 Status: Reported
Improve the Package Installer
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 55544 Status: Withdrawn
Separate the Bpl interface version / Language version
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 55472 (RAID: 256656) Status: Open
Cryptic message when an Interface isn't implemented fully
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 55404 (RAID: 256758) Status: Open
MRU component list
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 55403 (RAID: 256759) Status: Open
Add an option with 'Copy (Move) Component to...'
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 54864 Status: Reported
Unused unit warning
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 53945 Status: Reported
Object Inspector as a runtime debugging tool
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 53587 Status: Reported
Show the corresponding 'begin' for an 'end' in the tooltip
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 53527 Status: Withdrawn
PanBox
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 53518 Status: Reported
PanBox
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 53402 (RAID: 255888) Status: Open
Implement mixins - safer multiple inheritance
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 52968 (RAID: 255780) Status: Open
Add a horizontal / vertical splitter in the code editor
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 52966 Status: Reported
Add Programmer controlled Garbage Collection in Delphi
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 50234 Status: Reported
Visual compound components
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49996 (RAID: 253642) Status: Open
Closures / lambda / anonymous functions. (Functional programming)
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49791 (RAID: 253190) Status: Open
"Most used components" list
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49645 Status: Reported
Java annotations + C# attributes
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49589 Status: Closed
Enhancing scope granularity of variables
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49588 (RAID: 253019) Status: Open
Inline declaration of variables involved in 'For' cycles
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49474 (RAID: 252865) Status: Open
Custom entered groups of comments (a TODO engine improvement)
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49473 (RAID: 252864) Status: Open
User entered hyperlinks
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49472 (RAID: 252863) Status: Open
Program elements grouping
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 49034 (RAID: 252661) Status: Open
Fully qualified name in the tooltip
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 47866 Status: Reported
Enhance the bookmarks visibility
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 47861 (RAID: 252442) Status: Open
TStaticText Transparent:=True has problems.
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 46801 Status: Reported
Programming by contract - Class invariants
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 46799 Status: Reported
Property/Event update notification
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 46723 Status: Reported
Implement TComponentClone
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 46720 Status: Reported
Add a persistence object framework to the native Delphi (not only for
.NET)
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 46612 Status: Closed
TPageControl not rendered properly in the Designer
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 46611 (RAID: 202403) Status: Open
OI cuts the descending letters when the screen has 120 dpi.
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 45962 Status: Reported
Multi line strings
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 45282 Status: Reported
TActionList's Editor stays always on top (same stands for menu & fields
editors)
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 37658 Status: Reported
Make the inc and dec functions.
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 37657 Status: Reported
Extend the assignment operator (ie := )
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 35239 Status: Reported
"View | New edit view" wrong behaiviour
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
Report No: 33772 (RAID: 242073) Status: Open
<step>] do"
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
--------------------
--
TJSDialog - TaskDialog for other operating systems:
www.jed-software.com/jsd.htm

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

JED wrote:
John Kaster (CodeGear) wrote:

>m. Th. wrote:
>
>>Um, as you wish. :-)
>What's a QC report you've submitted?

Report No: < snip>
Wow! Spies among us! It's an output of QCPlus?
--
m. th.

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. formulated on Friday :
JED wrote:
>John Kaster (CodeGear) wrote:
>
>>m. Th. wrote:
>>
>>>Um, as you wish. :-)
>>What's a QC report you've submitted?
>
>Report No: < snip>

Wow! Spies among us! It's an output of QCPlus?
8:-)
You're very sharp.
BTW, nice list of posts. Good work.
Brad.

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

JED wrote:
>What's a QC report you've submitted?

Report No: 55762 Status: Reported
Drop down form
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
Thanks, JED.
Feature request for QC+ ... I'd also like a option to paste the QCWin
protocol link into this output.
--
John Kaster blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: qc.codegear.com
Got source? cc.codegear.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.codegear.com

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. wrote:
Um, as you wish. :-)
You're now sysop 1. Welcome.
--

John Kaster (CodeGear) wrote:
m. Th. wrote:

>Um, as you wish. :-)

You're now sysop 1. Welcome.

Thanks a lot, John. As a newbie can I put some questions? <g>
(yes, I read dn.codegear.com/article/33867)
0. The dual nature of QC (public <->RAID) will last?
1. What 'fields'/areas of a report are pushed to RAID?
2. After a report is submitted internally, any change in the above mentioned areas
will be synchronized in RAID and the internal guy which is assigned for this report
will see the change(s)?
3. As you saw in my first post, there are several typical diseases in bug trackers.
Let's talk now only about 'feature scattering'. We have a report (#55811) which says
that "'case' on int64 should generate an error" whereas we have another one (#11274)
which gives a better solution (implement 'case' for non-ordinal types) but doesn't
explicitly state the problem from #55811. Imho, tipically, I would do a 'feature
consolidation', taking from the lowest regarded report (voted, rated, status) the
valuable info and I would append it to the main one, closing the other one. What are
here the house's habits? <g>
4. Very 'Odd' reports should be deleted or 'marked for attention'? (for ex. #55738)
...and some 'neat' things from QC Sysop guide:
<quote>
Those options are:
1. Never publish my email address
2. Broker all communications so I can decide whether to reply directly to someone
3. Allow others to email me directly
Option 2 (brokering) is what QC will always be using. This feature is not in place
yet, but it is planned for 2004.
</quote>
- and -
<quote>
Before the end of Q1 2004, the update logic between QualityCentral and Raid will be
completed.
</quote>
...I know that your team works now at QC. Perhaps you can make more actual at least
these guidelines, if not the entire workflow? :-) Anyway, we see your effort and (at
least personally) I appreciate it very much. Thanks once again for your confidence in me.
--
m. th.

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. wrote:
John Kaster (CodeGear) wrote:
>m. Th. wrote:
>
>>Um, as you wish. :-)
>
>You're now sysop 1. Welcome.

Thanks a lot, John. As a newbie can I put some questions? <g>
(yes, I read dn.codegear.com/article/33867)

0. The dual nature of QC (public <->RAID) will last?
There will always be a need for an internal system whether they are
seperate systems or the same system as the internal system has a lot
more functionality than the external (QC).
1. What 'fields'/areas of a report are pushed to RAID?
project
STATUS
RESOLUTION
verification
SEVERITY
version
area
DESCRIPTION
resolved_in_build
2. After a report is submitted internally, any change in the above
mentioned areas will be synchronized in RAID and the internal guy
which is assigned for this report will see the change(s)?
They all get updated. Sometimes, the update from the internal system to
QC gets held up for various reasons. For example when there is a beta
test and a public QC report is fixed in the new unreleased version,
then the status, resolution, fixed in build number will not be
replicated until the product ships.
<quote>

Before the end of Q1 2004, the update logic between QualityCentral
and Raid will be completed.

</quote>

This is no longer required as the replicator takes care of this.
hth
--
Rob Schieck (TeamB)

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. wrote:
Perhaps I was wrong in my deduction (please excuse me) but I thought that if you'd
saw one of the reports with a broader coverage (#11274 for ex.) then you would
support that one.
#11274 covers "extending the case statement to work with *non-ordinal*
types". Int64 is an ordinal type, which "case" already does support,
just not in the way one might expect. The specific issue with Int64's
could be resolved independently of adding full-fledged support for
non-ordinal types and non-constant case lists as described in #11274, so
IMO the two reports can and should be processed separately.
--
Jordan Russell

Re:Duplicate reports in QC

m. Th. wrote:
Perhaps you can make more actual at least these guidelines, if not
the entire workflow? :-)
Thanks for your thorough work. I think you're going to be a great
addition to the sysop team. We need to update the docs, as you point
out.
I do have a technical writer under contract, but there is a ton of
things for her to document already. Another feature we're working on is
improved community process on our documentation ... but very few
developers like stepping in to assist with documentation anwway (in my
experience) so I'm not sure how much advantage that will buy us.
updating and improving our documentation for all our Internet Services
is definitely something we are funding, so we do consider it important.
Thanks again for your generosity with your time.