Unfreeze/Freeze a label from the command line

2007-02-14 11:35:34 PM
off-topic3
Hello everyone,
we use Starteam 2005 R2 and during our automated build process we need
to do the following sequence:
A Create a label (frozen)
B build the product
C checkin a handful of selected files
D Move the label created in A to the currently checked in version for
the files checked in during C
For D to work, we have to unfreeze the label created during A and freeze
it afterwards. We do not want to create the label during A as an
unfrozen label, for reasons of security and because it would require
manual interaction after the build to finally freeze the build label
which might be forgotten by our buildmasters.
How can a label be frozen and unfrozen using the command line? Neither
stcmd label
nor
stcmd apply-label
seem to allow this.
Any help appreciated,
--
Stefan Kuhr
"Lesen schadet der Dummheit"

Re:Unfreeze/Freeze a label from the command line

Pardon me for asking the obvious, but why not wait to create the label
until you are done? That's what we do in our automated builds.
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Re:Unfreeze/Freeze a label from the command line

Hello Craig,
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
Pardon me for asking the obvious, but why not wait to create the label
until you are done? That's what we do in our automated builds.

Good point. I cannot speak for our buildmasters, but I guess their
scripting logic records the current time at checkout and then creates
the label bassed on this time immediately after checkout. I will talk to
them and get back to this newsgroup thread if necessary.
Thanks,
--
Stefan Kuhr
"Lesen schadet der Dummheit"

{smallsort}

Re:Unfreeze/Freeze a label from the command line

How will you know what version of the files to compile if you don't build a
view label first?
Or do you only build the tip revision?
We wrote an app using the API to perform this task. Not only do we attach
the view label to the newly built files, but we also attach any revision
label that are on the source code file to for each project.
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:45d47c95$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Pardon me for asking the obvious, but why not wait to create the label
until you are done? That's what we do in our automated builds.

All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Re:Unfreeze/Freeze a label from the command line

The other thing I notice is that you seem to be using a revision label
as your build label, but build labels should really be view labels.
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx