"Error Loading Midas.dll" with Delphi 6

2006-09-20 06:47:23 AM
off-topic15
I am using midas.dll version 6.0.10.157 with Delphi 6 Update 2 and recently starting getting message "Error Loading Midas.dll" when trying to add fields to a client data set. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas about the cause? Is there a later version of midas.dll for Delphi 6?
Thanks.

Re:"Error Loading Midas.dll" with Delphi 6

Mark Bargeron wrote:
I am using midas.dll version 6.0.10.157 with Delphi 6 Update 2 and
recently starting getting message "Error Loading Midas.dll" when
trying to add fields to a client data set. Anyone seen this before
or have any ideas about the cause?
Did you register the DLL using regsvr32?
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote:
Mark Bargeron wrote:

>I am using midas.dll version 6.0.10.157 with Delphi 6 Update 2 and
>recently starting getting message "Error Loading Midas.dll" when
>trying to add fields to a client data set. Anyone seen this before
>or have any ideas about the cause?

Did you register the DLL using regsvr32?

All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com
Thanks, Craig. That took care of my problem.
Do you why I have to register this dll now after using it without registration in the past?

{smallsort}

Mark Bargeron wrote:
Thanks, Craig. That took care of my problem.
Do you why I have to register this dll now after using it without
registration in the past?
It's always necessary to register it, but Delphi does it for you *on
your development machine*. Anywhere else you have to do it yourself. If
something unregisters midas.dll, you'll have to re-register it.
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
>It's always necessary to register it, but Delphi does it for you *on
your development machine*. Anywhere else you have to do it yourself.
If something unregisters midas.dll, you'll have to re-register it.
It registers itself the first time it is used, and only needs to be
re-registered if moved from the original location, right?
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software, LLC

David Farrell-Garcia wrote:
It registers itself the first time it is used, and only needs to be
re-registered if moved from the original location, right?
midas.dll is never automatically registered on a machine without the
Delphi IDE. You need to register it in your installer or use MidasLib
instead.
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
midas.dll is never automatically registered on a machine without the
Delphi IDE. You need to register it in your installer or use MidasLib
instead.
My bad then. I installed a beta of one of our apps recently at a
clients office, via InstallAWare, and we installed the Midas.dll in the
app directory by mistake. Later we did an install of the release
version which then placed the Midas.dll in the System32 directory. I
used the same install tool for both. I got the "Error loading
Midas.dll" message on the release version so did a quick search on the
Inernet which led me to a post that said that there was a bug in the
Midas.dll that caused it to write it's location to the registry the
first time it is run. So I ran RegSvr32 to correct the problem.