corrupt file

2006-03-21 01:26:32 AM
off-topic14
BDE D7
what does 'corrupt file other than header' mean? I have run the bde repair
utility and it reports no errors. How should I fix this?]
thanks

Re:corrupt file

Howard,
Do you have any clue what kind of file is envolved?
Does this happing during design time or run time?
Regards, JohnH

Re:corrupt file

Howard Koch wrote:
BDE D7

what does 'corrupt file other than header' mean? I have run the bde
repair utility and it reports no errors. How should I fix this?]

thanks
I assume you are using Paradox tables. The error means what it says.
Some part to the table referenced in the error message is corrupt but
it is not the table header information that is damaged. You should try
rebuilding the database with the table repair program at
www.rksolution.cz .
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:corrupt file

when the application was running we suddenly go this message. No other files
are being used other than paradox tables in the database directory. I have
had no problems for 5 years then suddenly every 2 weeks or so the database
get corrupt. Normally it is due to 'no ASCII characters in table' which the
bde repair utility fixes. This time it reports no errors.
"John Herbster" <herb-sci1_at_sbcglobal.net>wrote in message
Howard,
Do you have any clue what kind of file is envolved?
Does this happing during design time or run time?
Regards, JohnH

Re:corrupt file

"Howard Koch"
when the application was running we suddenly go this message. No other
files
are being used other than paradox tables in the database directory. I have
had no problems for 5 years then suddenly every 2 weeks or so the database
get corrupt. Normally it is due to 'no ASCII characters in table' which
the
bde repair utility fixes. This time it reports no errors.
Howard, This seems to be a common problem. Have you looked here:
www.google.com/search
or here?
groups.google.com/groups
Good luck hunting! Please tell us what the problem was. JohnH

Re:corrupt file

Have you tried rebuilding the table with the table repair program at
www.rksolution.cz as I suggested in my earlier message?
FYI TBatchMove moves the data. It does not create indices or move any
other metadata objects or settings.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:corrupt file

I have not got on well at all! It seems that I have to clone the table ,
empty it then copy the records across. i have tried TBatchmove but I loose
the 2 indices. Any thoughts?
"John Herbster" <herb-sci1_at_sbcglobal.net>wrote in message

"Howard Koch"
>when the application was running we suddenly go this message. No other
>files
>are being used other than paradox tables in the database directory. I
have
>had no problems for 5 years then suddenly every 2 weeks or so the
database
>get corrupt. Normally it is due to 'no ASCII characters in table' which
>the
>bde repair utility fixes. This time it reports no errors.

Howard, This seems to be a common problem. Have you looked here:
www.google.com/search
or here?

groups.google.com/groups
Good luck hunting! Please tell us what the problem was. JohnH

Re:corrupt file

yes. I used this earlier. It reported no errors. I have just packed the
tables and this fixed the problem. I can only think that a record had not
been deleted properly and this was causing the error , the pack procedure
fixed it. Or I may be wrong. I would like to know for future reference.

"Howard Koch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
BDE D7

what does 'corrupt file other than header' mean? I have run the bde repair
utility and it reports no errors. How should I fix this?]

thanks

Re:corrupt file

packing a table does not repair the table.. also, starting from your earlier
message, the Verify option in the repair tool does not see everything wrong
that the rebuild process fixes..
rebuild the table, then pack it, then see if the problem reappears later..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Sports Memorabilia and Trading Cards
"Howard Koch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
yes. I used this earlier. It reported no errors. I have just packed the
tables and this fixed the problem. I can only think that a record had not
been deleted properly and this was causing the error , the pack procedure
fixed it. Or I may be wrong. I would like to know for future reference.

Re:corrupt file

As Steve said, the verify option will fail to report things that a
rebuild will fix. A rebuild packs the table so there is not much point
in packing a table you have just rebuilt.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:corrupt file

well the repair tool did not report any errors with the table. I selected
'rebuild corrupt tables' the first time around and the table was still
corrupt. I then added 'pack table'. The log stated that the table had not
been rebuilt but packed successfully. This corrected the corruption and the
table seems to work fine. I do not have the in depth knowledge to explain
this but I have [in the best traditions of science] copied the corrupt
database files[s] to 2 other computers and duplicated the procedure above
and it fixed the table! How or why this worked in the face of no errors
reported is beyond me, but since various internet articles state the cause
is unknown I just offer up my experience and hope some one can explain it.
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
As Steve said, the verify option will fail to report things that a
rebuild will fix. A rebuild packs the table so there is not much point
in packing a table you have just rebuilt.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:corrupt file

I have just tied again with just the 'pack' function and it fixed the
problem. I can e mail the tables if you want to try!
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
As Steve said, the verify option will fail to report things that a
rebuild will fix. A rebuild packs the table so there is not much point
in packing a table you have just rebuilt.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:corrupt file

packing a table with a "bad pointer" problem just moves the problem to a
different block.. so you test for the previous problem, and it's gone.. but
now the same problem will apper in a different query, or different context..
it is *not* fixed..
unless the files are *massive*, yes, you can e-mail them to me.. I'll test
them tonight..

news:441f52ca$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>As Steve said, the verify option will fail to report things that a
>rebuild will fix. A rebuild packs the table so there is not much
>point in packing a table you have just rebuilt.
>
>-- Bill Todd (TeamB)
When you pack a table the BDE creates a new empty table, copies the
data to the new table, deletes the original table then renames the new
table.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)