Old TP Programmer needs advice

2004-07-23 03:22:22 AM
off-topic4
Years ago I programmed quite a bit in TP up to v6 (began in 1985 w/
Turbo Tutor!)
Whenever I needed a little program to parse text files, or whatever, I
cranked it out quick with Turbo Professional and later Object
Professional's assistance.
Moved on to Paradox / Windows but the project died in 1999 and I've been
mostly setting up Windows SBS Server networks, routers, etc. since.
But now when I need a program written, what to do? I tried FoxPro due to
a work requirement, but what a joke - minimum "hello, world" pgm is over
1MB and anything but strict in the programming sense.
What program do I have a chance learning for utility windows (and maybe
someday Linux) programs; knowing that I won't be spending 10 hours a day
doing it and with less than 5 year learning curve?
thanks,
Roger.

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

Kiss Miklós wrote:
>What program do I have a chance learning for utility windows (and maybe
>someday Linux) programs; knowing that I won't be spending 10 hours a day
>doing it and with less than 5 year learning curve?

If I understand You well then You are searching a programming language that
provides Windows programming. If that's the case I recommend You to use
Deplhi which language is Object Pascal - a (much) updated version of TP 6's.
Furthermore there is Kylix which is the Linux equivalent of Delphi.

Regards,
MikKi

How does one get going in Delphi? I really loved the Turbo Tutor years
ago. Today everyone points to a shelf full of 800 page books it seems.
Is Delphi more like TP or Paradox?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:22:22 -0500, R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...]

I started with Pascal 5.5 and worked my way up to 7.0 which works quite well
even in a networked Win98 environment.
Tried Delphi and it was just too much work to get anything done. Tried Visual
Basic and found it to be much easier to learn and build apps with than Delphi.
More recently I have acquired Free Pascal which is very much like Turbo Pascal
but capable of producing true 32 bit Windows Programs. They can look & function
like a DOS program or like Windows - your choice (with some restrictions).
ALSO - FP will compile for Linux as well.
Val Mehling
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XRL (Extreme Racing League) Info
extremeracingleague.com/

{smallsort}

R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<410013ec$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
[...]

Hi,
From one old TP Programmer to another, I would recommend Virtual
Pascal, available from www.vpascal.com
I started with Turbo Pascal version 4.0, and have stayed with it
through 7.0. I've also used Delphi 1 and Delphi 2.
Virtual Pascal has the same look and feel of Turbo Pascal, but
allows access to the Windows API, and generates fast 32-bit
executables.
It will run any Turbo Pascal program that does not use DOS
interrupts, as these are not supported under Win32. Note that for the
majority of DOS interrupt calls, Virtual Pascal has the equivalent
call wrapped in a function, usually available in the VPUtils or
VPSysLow units.
Virtual Pascal allows programs to be developed for Linux, OS/2, and
Win32 platforms.
Joe
groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeCaverlysProgrammingStuff

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

How does one get going in Delphi? I really loved the Turbo Tutor years
ago. Today everyone points to a shelf full of 800 page books it seems.
Delphi has some examples attached to it and You can find many tutorials on
the Internet. And much better: You can use these newsgroups to ask anything
if You got stuck somewhere.
Is Delphi more like TP or Paradox?
I never used Paradox so I can't answer Your question. All I know that I
learned the Pascal language by using TP5.5, 6, 7 and after that I brought
Delphi which was really very close to TP7. Of course in TP7 You do not have
to use object-oriented programming but in Delphi it is a must. However, it's
basics can be learned fast.
As Kurt mentioned You can get a trial version of Delphi to see if it would
fit Your needs.
Regards,
MikKi

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

[snip]
As suggested, Delphi would be okay. Get a trial version first. if you
buy it, it normally commes with a small booklet which contains a small
tutorial (mostly database oriented, but for learning other basic things
it's good too). You would need the simplest edition (home), all other
would be overkill for your purposes I think.
Another possible thing would be Free pascal (www.freepascal.org), which
is nearly 100% TP 7 compatible and exists for DOS (32 Bit protected
mode), Windows and Linux as well. So cross-plattform development is
possible, but real GUI development under Windows is not yet really
useabla I think, for this Delphi would be better. If written with care
and the right components a Delphi application can be ported to linux as
well using Kylinx for the Linux development.
Greetings
Markus

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

Any reason not to get the Delphi 8 for .net trial? or should I stick with 7?
Is .Net really the way to go, seems kind of bloated when the runtime
I've had to install for other apps is something like 30MB
thanks,
Roger.
Kurt Barthelmess [TeamB] wrote:
R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>What program do I have a chance learning for utility windows (and maybe
>someday Linux) programs; knowing that I won't be spending 10 hours a day
>doing it and with less than 5 year learning curve?

You can write quick and dirty apps with Delphi / Kylix, but if you
expect them to have all the features of a typical Windows app, you're
going to have to invest a lot more time and energy, whether you try to
do it in Delphi, C/C++, VB, or any other Windows development tools. Of
course, that was true for fancy DOS apps back in the TP6 days as well.

You might want to get one of the trial versions of Delphi and give it
a workout to see if you want to pursue it.

Good luck.

Kurt

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:00:29 -0500, R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Any reason not to get the Delphi 8 for .net trial? or should I stick with 7?

Is .Net really the way to go, seems kind of bloated when the runtime
I've had to install for other apps is something like 30MB
Depends on if you think .net is the way computing is going.
I'm using D7, I haven't upgraded.

R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Any reason not to get the Delphi 8 for .net trial? or should I stick with 7?
What environment are you developing for? If Windows 32, leave D8 and
net alone and go with D7. Otherwise you have to use D8.
Is .Net really the way to go, seems kind of bloated when the runtime
I've had to install for other apps is something like 30MB
"No one will ever need more than 640KB ..."<G>
Kurt

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

Windows 2000 Pro (I hate XP)
Actually hoping a viable Linux desktop is an option for small/medium
business before I have to leave W2K Pro.
Perfect example is today I have the need to create a program to take
multiple Black & White lists of email addresses from various users,
compare for duplicates and compile into one comprehensive list. I want
to maintain the individual lists as well for maintenance purposes.
I just hate to buy Delphi 7 for $999 and later decide i want 8; but I
hate to go with 8 if 7 is easier to use.
R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Any reason not to get the Delphi 8 for .net trial? or should I stick with 7?

What environment are you developing for? If Windows 32, leave D8 and
net alone and go with D7. Otherwise you have to use D8.

>Is .Net really the way to go, seems kind of bloated when the runtime
>I've had to install for other apps is something like 30MB

"No one will ever need more than 640KB ..."<G>

Kurt

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

R < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Windows 2000 Pro (I hate XP)
Then D7 (or an earlier version) is your only option.
Actually hoping a viable Linux desktop is an option for small/medium
business before I have to leave W2K Pro.
That would mean Kylix.
I just hate to buy Delphi 7 for $999 and later decide i want 8; but I
hate to go with 8 if 7 is easier to use.
Widespread adoption of .net may occur before a "viable Linux desktop".
Or it may not. Or either or both may have already occured and we just
didn't notice it<g>.
Get the trial version of D7 and play with it for a while before you
make committments.
Good luck.
Kurt

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

JRS: In article <4105c4f4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, dated Mon, 26 Jul
2004 21:59:02, seen in news:borland.public.turbopascal, R
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >posted :

Perfect example is today I have the need to create a program to take
multiple Black & White lists of email addresses from various users,
compare for duplicates and compile into one comprehensive list. I want
to maintain the individual lists as well for maintenance purposes.
Assuming that all sources represent the same address in the exact same
manner, or that the lists can be normalised; and that the combined list
is not too long :
Concatenate the lists ; sort the list ; use DEDUPE x ;
use COLS 8- to strip off the column of numbers.
DEDUPE, COLS via below. Compiling DEDUPE requires, I think, TP4+;
compiling COLS uses version 7, but that could easily be fixed.
If SORT cannot handle all the unconsolidated lists at once, start with
an empty final list and merge into it each of the other lists in turn,
starting with the largest.
--
?John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20; Win98. ?
Web <URL:www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/>- FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

Hello,
just buy Delphi 8, because it includes the FULL VERSION of DELPHI 7!!!!
Just wondering why nobody told you that already... ;-)
The prof. Version comes with Delphi 8 & 7 and Interbase 6.5, 7.0 (one
full useable licence) and devellopper Versions of MS SQL Server and IBM
DB/2.
Greetings
Markus

Re:Old TP Programmer needs advice

R>Perfect example is today I have the need to create a program to take
R>multiple Black & White lists of email addresses from various users,
R>compare for duplicates and compile into one comprehensive list. I want
R>to maintain the individual lists as well for maintenance purposes.
R>
R>I just hate to buy Delphi 7 for $999 and later decide i want 8; but I
R>hate to go with 8 if 7 is easier to use.
Virtual Pascal - www.vpascal.com
Free Pascal - www.freepascal.org
Both free 32-bit pascal compilers. Both cross compile to different platforms
(os/2, windows, linux), both could also do delphi 1 syntax (gui's, etc)..
Both are IDE programming type of enviroments (like BP/TP code writting
windows). Free Pascal has a bigger user base then Virtual Pascal, but Virtual
Pascal are friendlier (IMHO) for beginers and people with questions.
Just something else to think about.

Markus Humm < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
just buy Delphi 8, because it includes the FULL VERSION of DELPHI 7!!!!
Just wondering why nobody told you that already... ;-)
Because the full version of D8 is quite expensive for someone who just
wants to "kick the wheels" of Windows programming.
Kurt