Re: BDE Installation

2004-04-13 01:19:39 AM
off-topic19
Bill,
thanks for your help -
How do I find the BDE Version? Not sure how to do that.
machine with FAT32 (where it doesn't work).
Thanks again,
Rob
"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
On 11 Apr 2004 11:43:30 -0800, "Rob Graham" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>"Invalid File Name"

What version of the BDE are you using?
What operating system is the machine that has the error running?
Is the machine with the error using the FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS file
system?

One thing that can cause this error is using versions < 4.51 with
FAT32.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Re: BDE Installation

On 12 Apr 2004 18:16:21 -0800, "Rob Graham" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>How do I find the BDE Version? Not sure how to do that.

Using Windows Explorer or My Computer go to the BDE directory. Right
click IDAPI32.DLL, choose Properties from the context menu then click
the version tab.

--
Bill (TeamB)
Okay - the file version is 3.0, the product version is 4.186 = so I probably need to get a more current version - where can I go to get it?

{smallsort}

Re:Re: BDE Installation

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The only thing on the Borland Web site for the current version (5.2)
is a Windows Installer MSI file. It is at
www.borland.com/devsupport/bde . If you want a regular installer for
the BDE go to ibinstall.defined.net and get the BDE Information
Utility. It will install 5.2.

--
Bill (TeamB)
Bill

Re:Re: BDE Installation

I need to know if there is any problem with installing a program that uses the Borland Database Engine if I already have another application installed that uses the BDE. Will the installation of the new program overwrite any existing files I may already have pertaining to it? Please let me know.

Re:Re: BDE Installation

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
If the program you are installing uses a Borland certified installer
for the BDE, as required by Borland's license agreement, then there
should be no problem. The installer will update the current
installation only if the version being installed is newer than the one
that is already installed. All of your existing settings will be
preserved.

--
Bill (TeamB)
Bill,

Re:Re: BDE Installation

Bill Todd,
The installer will update the current
installation only if the version being installed is newer than the one
that is already installed. All of your existing settings will be
preserved.
That's not always true.
When I have updated BDE 5.01 (from French Paradox 9) to BDE 5.1.1.1
(with French Paradox 10)
All my settings in IDAPI32.CFG or IDAPI.CFG have been removed to
standard ones.
It is better to save your config files before updating you BDE, and
merge the file to recover your own settings.
Régis

Re:Re: BDE Installation

Hi Guys,
I'm using BdeInst.dll to install the BDE.
regsvr32.exe BdeInst.dll
Does anyone know a way to suppress the target directory prompt? I'd
prefer to do a silent install.
Thanks,
Steve