BDE and Hard drive space

2004-05-05 03:59:15 AM
off-topic10
We are getting an error and it seems to becoming from the BDE. It seems
like it has to do with hard drive size, because we are only seeing it on
clients with new computers. First what is the hard drive physical size
limits of the BDE (I know what the BDE support page says). Second what
are the error messages that you would see if you hit this limit?
Paul

Re:BDE and Hard drive space

Paul Louck wrote:
First what is the hard drive physical size limits of the BDE (I know what
the BDE support page says).
it isn't a set limit.. it's an "every 4 gig" thing.. the BDE won't see
enough space, right around the 4 gig increment (of free space).. the actual
spot will depend on what you're doing..
for example.. there's 4.1 gig free.. BDE only sees the .1
now.. 100 meg is still a ton of free space.. most normal operations,
involving tables that aren't massive, will be unaffected.. but try to
restructure a 1/2 gig table.. get it?
Second what are the error messages that you would see if you hit this
limit?
"not enough disk space"
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:BDE and Hard drive space

Forgot to add my error message and I have traced this right to the point the
bde is getting intialized. The memory could not be read
Steven Green wrote:
Paul Louck wrote:

>First what is the hard drive physical size limits of the BDE (I know what
>the BDE support page says).

it isn't a set limit.. it's an "every 4 gig" thing.. the BDE won't see
enough space, right around the 4 gig increment (of free space).. the actual
spot will depend on what you're doing..

for example.. there's 4.1 gig free.. BDE only sees the .1

now.. 100 meg is still a ton of free space.. most normal operations,
involving tables that aren't massive, will be unaffected.. but try to
restructure a 1/2 gig table.. get it?

>Second what are the error messages that you would see if you hit this
>limit?

"not enough disk space"

--
Steven Green - Waldorf Maryland USA

Paul Louck wrote:
Forgot to add my error message and I have traced this right to the point the
bde is getting intialized. The memory could not be read
that's not the issue I was describing at all.. as Bill said, you'll need to post
the *exact* error and context..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:BDE and Hard drive space

That is what I told the support people, but they say it is the exact
error message. To me it does sound like an OS error. So far we have
only see it at 3 sites only on 3 seperate computers. All the other
computers in their offices are running it. The commonality that these
three computers share is that they where just bought within the last 3
months. They are all running XP sp1 between 256mb - 1gb of ram 3+mhz and
greater than 100gb hard drives. I am tring to get our support to get
better specs on those hard drives. I just thought I heard something
last year about the BDE having touble with running on a hard drive that
was bigger than 150gb. Maybe I was wrong on that. Anyother clues of
possible another board I can ask on will be appreciated.
Thank You
Paul Loucks
"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
On Tue, 04 May 2004 15:22:31 -0500, Paul Louck < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:

>The memory could not be read

Is that the complete and exact text of the error message?

That sounds like an O/S error, not a BDE error.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE and Hard drive space

Paul Louck wrote:
We are getting an error and it seems to becoming from the BDE. It seems
like it has to do with hard drive size, because we are only seeing it on
clients with new computers. First what is the hard drive physical size
limits of the BDE (I know what the BDE support page says). Second what
are the error messages that you would see if you hit this limit?

Paul

If your error message is about "insufficient disk space" check what your
"current" or "active" directory is. I've seen cases where I've just
touched a file on a CD. Shortly thereafter the code does some low level
BDE calls when I got that error message. The solution was simple, to
call chDir([someValidLocation]) and that did the trick. But this had me
puzzled as it was very inconsistent, and the private directory was
explicitly set to a location that has heaps of space (users temp
directory) so it is a mystery to me why the BDE wanted to write anything
temporary to anywhere other then that session's private directory.
my 2 cents
randall

Re:BDE and Hard drive space

Paul Louck wrote:
That is what I told the support people, but they say it is the exact error
message.
again.. without the exact error message and the exact context, we can only
guess..