Dell spare parts in San Jose

2004-08-26 11:17:10 PM
off-topic4
I'm bringing my laptop, which happens to have an unreliable screen. If
it lets me down during the conf, how easy is it to just go an buy an LCD
screen? To replace it takes less than 10 minutes.
Here were I am, it takes too long to get a new from DELL, and they also
insist on sending a technician for this 10 minutes job, and currently I
live 250km (3 hours each way) from Oslo...
Maybe Silicon Valley is better equipped?
Any input on experiences regarding this is much appreciated!
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Dell spare parts in San Jose

I'm bringing my laptop, which happens to have an unreliable screen. If
it lets me down during the conf, how easy is it to just go an buy an LCD
screen? To replace it takes less than 10 minutes.
Probably not that easy. I called and asked... 1-800-449-3355.
Assuming Inspiron 8600 the screen itself is $659. Installation $149.
They'll let you install it yourself. They even have another number to
walk you through it... ;-)
I'm sure that's close enough for any laptop screen. If your machine is
much older than a few years, you may want to get a new one instead
of paying extorsion prices on replacement parts.
You probably should order in advance and have it shipped somewhere
so that you don't run in to a situation where it's out of stock, and you're
SOL.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures

Re:Dell spare parts in San Jose

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, telcontr@online-
not-this-part-.no says...

This is what I will do too, especially because of the price difference.
Actually, my Borcon attendance is just a cover to fool the customs and
the tax authorities <g, d&r>

<sound of Norwegian Customs Officer putting on {*word*221} gloves>
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

{smallsort}

Anders Ohlsson (Borland) wrote:
Probably not that easy. I called and asked... 1-800-449-3355.
Thanks a lot!!
Assuming Inspiron 8600 the screen itself is $659. Installation $149.
Almost precisely half of what it costs here.
They'll let you install it yourself.
Not here... :-(
I'm sure that's close enough for any laptop screen. If your machine
is much older than a few years, you may want to get a new one instead
of paying extorsion prices on replacement parts.
It is 3 years and 3 months, cost me $ 7,600, I will keep it ;-)
It is a good machine, but this will be the fourth screen, the three
previous were free because I paid a 3 year assurance.

John Wester [Group W] wrote:
<sound of Norwegian Customs Officer putting on {*word*221} gloves>
<g>
--

"Ingvar Nilsen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Actually, my Borcon attendance is just a cover to fool the customs and
the tax authorities <g, d&r>

Aargggh!
You put me through all that, just for this??
<GD&R>
Brad.

Brad White wrote:
>>Actually, my Borcon attendance is just a cover to fool the customs
>>and the tax authorities <g, d&r>

>Aargggh!

>You put me through all that, just for this??

LOL - well, forgot to mention the eBay commission <g>
Oh, that's alright then. 8:-)
Looking forward to meet you over there!

Yes.
I'm the guy with dark hair and a beard, if that helps.
8:-)
Brad.

Brad White wrote:
>Actually, my Borcon attendance is just a cover to fool the customs
>and the tax authorities <g, d&r>
Aargggh!
You put me through all that, just for this??
LOL - well, forgot to mention the eBay commission <g>
Looking forward to meet you over there!
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Dell spare parts in San Jose

In article <41333e90$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, "Brad White" <bwhite at
inebraska.com>says...

I'm the guy with dark hair and a beard, if that helps.
8:-)

Hey, so am I...
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Re:Dell spare parts in San Jose

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, telcontr@online-
not-this-part-.no says...
I'm bringing my laptop, which happens to have an unreliable screen. If
it lets me down during the conf, how easy is it to just go an buy an LCD
screen? To replace it takes less than 10 minutes.

Here were I am, it takes too long to get a new from DELL, and they also
insist on sending a technician for this 10 minutes job, and currently I
live 250km (3 hours each way) from Oslo...

Maybe Silicon Valley is better equipped?

Any input on experiences regarding this is much appreciated!
You can always get lucky too:
info.borland.com/conf2004/
<quote>
Conference attendees will automatically be entered into the BorCon prize
drawing and will be eligible to win either an X-BOX Performance Bundle
or a Dell Latitude Power Notebook! Five drawings will be held throughout
the conference.
</quote>
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Re:Dell spare parts in San Jose

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, telcontr@online-
not-this-part-.no says...

I would prefer an eBay Dutch Auction to a prize drawing <g>
Doubt the X-BOX would work here.
The DELL probably comes with an US keyboard and a 110 V power pack, mere
trifles though.
Dell's power supplies have always been multi-voltage. The plugs, OTOH
are not. But then, that's why I travel with Euro, British and Indian
plug adapters...
Nevertheless, if I win I would be happy!
So would I. Always can use another machine...
--

"Mere trifles" I said :)
But then, that's why I travel with Euro, British and Indian plug
adapters...
In California I guess the laptops are equipped with solar cells :)
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Dell spare parts in San Jose

I would never keep it!
I have had a several Dell Notebooks, all of them Inspiron and after the end
of the 3 year assurance I got rid of them real fast. I also rely on them
working and with the 3 year on-site assurance, I was always very happy.
As I travel a lot, Dell usually has to visit me every 9-12 Months. This is
OK as travelling a lot really beats the notebook.
Anyway, the prices for new Dell Notebooks have dropped dramatically in the
last 3 years. I would expect to get a new one with better everything
compared to your current notebook for about $2000, including 3 years on-site
assurance. Compare that to the new screen for $700 alone!
Bengt Skogvall