Re: General advice for first-timer to get the most out of Borcon?

2005-09-18 01:31:37 AM
off-topic7
You need a machine readable passport to enter USA, and is that not
required from the UK?
Yep, that's been the case for people from everywhere for a few years now (at
least, if you want to avail yourself of the visa waiver scheme). Most countries
passports are machine readable (my Australian one from 2001 is, for instance),
but only a handful issue passports with the biometrics that will one day be
required.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re:Re: General advice for first-timer to get the most out of Borcon?

Jim Cooper wrote:

>You need a machine readable passport to enter USA, and is that not
>required from the UK?

Yep, that's been the case for people from everywhere for a few years
now (at least, if you want to avail yourself of the visa waiver
scheme).
This has to vary a lot as it seems, from country to country.
A machine readable passport has been required for Norwegians only a few
months. USA will not accept a passport issued after 26th of October
without biometrics data, so I will renew mine before that because it is
simpler and probably cheaper too.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:Re: General advice for first-timer to get the most out of Borcon?

USA will not accept a passport issued after 26th of October
without biometrics data
That's changed again recently.

Jim Cooper wrote:

>USA will not accept a passport issued after 26th of October

>without biometrics data

That's changed again recently.
Ok, but there still is a change on the 26th of Oct:
travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html
So I will do this before said date!
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:Re: General advice for first-timer to get the most out of Borcon?

So I will do this before said date!
You should definitely get a machine readable passport if you don't already have
one and you intend to visit the US. I haven't heard of anywhere else where that
is necessary, though. The requirement for one with biometric data has been
deferred again because hardly any countries in the world issue them (including
the US <g>)