Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

2005-11-29 05:45:11 PM
off-topic15
I have a problem in CodeWright.
When I am working in some file say parse.cpp at Line 200. I do not change
anything. I focus out from CW and focus back in. Control goes to BOF line 1
column 1. I have to come again at Line 200 to start my work.
has anyone seen like this?
do we have any solution to this?
I have cw version 7.5
Nazeer

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:15:11 +0530,
"Nazeer Hussain [Bentley]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
When I am working in some file say parse.cpp at Line 200. I do not change
anything. I focus out from CW and focus back in. Control goes to BOF line 1
column 1. I have to come again at Line 200 to start my work.
I have cw version 7.5
Make sure you are current at v7.55.
I haven't seen that before. Does changing/resetting any of the
settings in /tools/customize/enviroment/general help at all? Has it
always done this, or is this behavior something new?
Do you have any of the file-syncing or IDE-syncing turned on?
Is the file getting reloaded?
--
---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

Good memory jogger ...
I saw this a long time ago when swapping between Visual Studio 2003 and
CodeWright. There are options for setting the cursor position on the swap
that can cause some odd behavior like this one.
There is also a possibility of parameter contamination. The approach to
those is to do a new clean install using only default parameters. Make sure
the problem doesn't exist. Then make all the needed parameter changes by
hand.
I do realize this is a pain but it will guarantee a clean baseline and you
will not have to go through the process more than once. The alternative is
to spend hours and hours dealing with "spookyness".
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"Joseph_K" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:15:11 +0530,
"Nazeer Hussain [Bentley]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>When I am working in some file say parse.cpp at Line 200. I do not change
>anything. I focus out from CW and focus back in. Control goes to BOF line
>1
>column 1. I have to come again at Line 200 to start my work.
>I have cw version 7.5

Make sure you are current at v7.55.

I haven't seen that before. Does changing/resetting any of the
settings in /tools/customize/enviroment/general help at all? Has it
always done this, or is this behavior something new?
Do you have any of the file-syncing or IDE-syncing turned on?
Is the file getting reloaded?

--
---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA

{smallsort}

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

No help.
I checked it all.
the problem is it works fine sometime, and all of a sudden the problem pops
up again.
there is no sequence or pattern after which this happens.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Thom Little wrote:
Good memory jogger ...

I saw this a long time ago when swapping between Visual Studio 2003 and
CodeWright. There are options for setting the cursor position on the swap
that can cause some odd behavior like this one.
Really, what settings? I have the same problem ... whenever I have VS
2003 opened, if CW looses and regains focus for any reason, it resyncs
the cursor position in my current file to the cursor position in VS
2003. Most annoying. I do have all three check boxes in the VCSync
tray icon's preferences unchecked. Are there more settings somewhere
that I am missing?
If by some chance you have more info, it would be appreciated.

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

You are describing the inverse. What you describe in fact is EXACTLY the
way it was designed to behave,
Page 240 of the 7.5 User's Manual describes the behavior of the third
option. This is the one that is doing what I want and you don't. Uncheck
the last option and reload everything.
--
"Jake" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Thom Little wrote:
>Good memory jogger ...
>
>I saw this a long time ago when swapping between Visual Studio 2003 and
>CodeWright. There are options for setting the cursor position on the
>swap that can cause some odd behavior like this one.

Really, what settings? I have the same problem ... whenever I have VS 2003
opened, if CW looses and regains focus for any reason, it resyncs the
cursor position in my current file to the cursor position in VS 2003.
Most annoying. I do have all three check boxes in the VCSync tray icon's
preferences unchecked. Are there more settings somewhere that I am
missing?

If by some chance you have more info, it would be appreciated.

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

Do you have any of the "sync" utilities installed? If you do, are the
configured (the three option poxes) correctly?
Perhaps you have the file open in VS 2003 and CodeWright and have the Sync
utility loaded and do NOT have the third box checked?
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"Nazeer Hussain [Bentley]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in

news:438ce09c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Good memory jogger ...
>
>I saw this a long time ago when swapping between Visual Studio 2003 and
>CodeWright. There are options for setting the cursor position on the
>swap that can cause some odd behavior like this one.
>
>There is also a possibility of parameter contamination. The approach to
>those is to do a new clean install using only default parameters. Make
>sure the problem doesn't exist. Then make all the needed parameter
>changes by hand.
>
>I do realize this is a pain but it will guarantee a clean baseline and
>you will not have to go through the process more than once. The
>alternative is to spend hours and hours dealing with "spookyness".
>
>--
>-- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
>--
>
>"Joseph_K" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:15:11 +0530,
>>"Nazeer Hussain [Bentley]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>
>>>When I am working in some file say parse.cpp at Line 200. I do not
>>>change
>>>anything. I focus out from CW and focus back in. Control goes to BOF
>>>line 1
>>>column 1. I have to come again at Line 200 to start my work.
>>>I have cw version 7.5
>>
>>Make sure you are current at v7.55.
>>
>>I haven't seen that before. Does changing/resetting any of the
>>settings in /tools/customize/enviroment/general help at all? Has it
>>always done this, or is this behavior something new?
>>Do you have any of the file-syncing or IDE-syncing turned on?
>>Is the file getting reloaded?
>>
>>--
>>---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
>>Joseph K
>>Seattle, WA

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

Thom,
Thanks for the response ... I appreciate all you do. However, I
think you misunderstood ... I have the third option "Automatic File
synchronization" UNChecked already ... and I still get the behavior.
Thanks,
Jake.
Thom Little wrote:
You are describing the inverse. What you describe in fact is EXACTLY the
way it was designed to behave,

Page 240 of the 7.5 User's Manual describes the behavior of the third
option. This is the one that is doing what I want and you don't. Uncheck
the last option and reload everything.

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

It always behaved the way I wanted so I never tried turning it off.
I played with it for a while yesterday and can not find a way to turn it off
after it has once been turned on.
Using Visual Studio 2005 of course never turns it on and you never run into
the problem.
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"Jake" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Thom,

Thanks for the response ... I appreciate all you do. However, I think
you misunderstood ... I have the third option "Automatic File
synchronization" UNChecked already ... and I still get the behavior.

Thanks,
Jake.

Re:Control goes to BOF line 1 column 1

Thanks,
FYI, the problem does not happen for me on VS6, only VS7.1 (a.k.a) VS
2003 - The sync stuff crashes with VS 2005, so I dont use it.
Thanks.