ST2005 database questions

2005-08-04 07:05:58 PM
off-topic4
I am currently investigating a major StarTeam upgrade and have some
questions wrt the recommended database setup.
We are still running on 4.2 SP2 Enterprise on an old dual-CPU NT
machine. The database is on a separate Oracle server that is also used
for a number of other company-wide applications. The planned upgrade is
toward StarTeam 2005 R2 Enterprise on a brand new machine.
I intended to use the new machine also for the database since we are not
very happy with using the shared (and oldish) Oracle server. Also, we
only have around 600M of Oracle datafiles so the StarTeam database seems
small enough to run onto the server itself. We have around 20 users
using ST on a daily basis.
So my questions :
* in ST 2005, what exactly is the database used for ?
* why does Borland recommend a dedicated database with Oracle or
SQL/Server when it is of such limited size ?
* how hard is it to do an upgrade from ST4.2 to ST2005 that includes a
database move ?
Tnx!
--
Henk Van Wulpen XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Teaching Assistant

Re:ST2005 database questions

Henk Van Wulpen wrote:

[...]

The Database is the main component that holds Change Request, Task,
Topic, and Requirement data. Also the database holds the meta data for
the files component and also the pointers to the file in the vault and
hives.
Borland does recommend two servers for large customers because of the
demand on the third party database. I have found when there is an
extra db on the network other people will want to add another database
then another and then the StarTeam sever is now a full time database
sever for 4 databases and is being overload by other apps.
If you database is small as you say it is you might be able to run MSDE
but most people do not trust MSDE and would rather go out and purchase
MS SQL or Oracle.
Tom
--
Tom Margrave
STAdvice 'at' Unionpoint 'dot' net

Re:ST2005 database questions

Henk,
To upgrade, you will need to walk your server through the following
versions:
4.2 SP2 ->4.2 SP3 ->5.2 ->5.4 ->2005
You may be able to make that last jump to 2005R2 rather than 2005, but I
haven't tried it.
My experience is totally with Access and SQL Server based installs. I know
there are some extra complications with Oracle based setups, but they didn't
look too bad.
Your biggest problem will probably be getting the installs for all those
versions, because Borland doesn't keep those{*word*154} around on their web
site. You may have to contact them for help.
-BR
"Henk Van Wulpen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

[...]

{smallsort}

Henk Van Wulpen wrote:

I am currently investigating a major StarTeam upgrade and have some
questions wrt the recommended database setup.
We are still running on 4.2 SP2 Enterprise on an old dual-CPU NT
machine. The database is on a separate Oracle server that is also used
for a number of other company-wide applications. The planned upgrade is
toward StarTeam 2005 R2 Enterprise on a brand new machine.
So my questions :
* in ST 2005, what exactly is the database used for ?
* why does Borland recommend a dedicated database with Oracle or
SQL/Server when it is of such limited size ?
* how hard is it to do an upgrade from ST4.2 to ST2005 that includes a
database move ?

Tnx!

I would be very interested in hearing if you decided to go ahead with
this upgrade and what procedure you used. We also are using StarTeam 4.2
and were looking at upgrading when we switched to Delphi 2005 but when I
enquired I was basically told that it was not possible. Not to mention
that they wanted us to send them a big fat cheque to cover the couple
years where we had to let the maintenance contract lapse.

Chris Harvey wrote:
Henk Van Wulpen wrote:

>I am currently investigating a major StarTeam upgrade and have some
>questions wrt the recommended database setup.
>We are still running on 4.2 SP2 Enterprise on an old dual-CPU NT
>machine. The database is on a separate Oracle server that is also used
>for a number of other company-wide applications. The planned upgrade
>is toward StarTeam 2005 R2 Enterprise on a brand new machine.
>So my questions :
>* in ST 2005, what exactly is the database used for ?
>* why does Borland recommend a dedicated database with Oracle or
>SQL/Server when it is of such limited size ?
>* how hard is it to do an upgrade from ST4.2 to ST2005 that includes a
>database move ?
>
>Tnx!

I would be very interested in hearing if you decided to go ahead with
this upgrade and what procedure you used. We also are using StarTeam 4.2
and were looking at upgrading when we switched to Delphi 2005 but when I
enquired I was basically told that it was not possible. Not to mention
that they wanted us to send them a big fat cheque to cover the couple
years where we had to let the maintenance contract lapse.
Upgrading for 4.2 can be very easy or can be a challenge. I have done
several lately for customers and each one has been a different story.
I would do the following:
4.2 sp2>4.2 sp3>5.2 with patches>5.3>6.0>2005 R2
Borland documentation does not require all of the steps above but I have
had good luck with it.
As for the supported version of the database for ST 2005 R2:
Minimum: MSDE 2000 SP2 with Slammer virus patch
Recommended:
Oracle 9.0.1.3.0
Oracle 9.2.0.1.0
Oracle 10.1.0.3.0
Microsoft SQL Server 7 SP4 or
2000 SP3
IBM DB2 UDB 8.1 FixPak 9
(8.1.9)
IBM DB2 UDB 8.2 FixPak 22
(8.2.2)

Tom
--
Tom Margrave
STAdvice 'at' Unionpoint 'dot' net
www.orasiglobalservices.com/

Re:ST2005 database questions

Thanks for the reply!
"Tom Margrave" <""STAdvice \"@ Unionpoint.net">wrote in message

Re:ST2005 database questions

FWIW I endorse Tom's proposed upgrade path, and Brian's also. According to
my experience, both work well. Borland may recommend a shorter path, but
especially with Oracle, you should take the extra steps for safety and
smootheness.
:) dave
Chris Harvey wrote:
>Henk Van Wulpen wrote:
>

>>I am currently investigating a major StarTeam upgrade and have some
>>questions wrt the recommended database setup.
>>We are still running on 4.2 SP2 Enterprise on an old dual-CPU NT
>>machine. The database is on a separate Oracle server that is also used
>>for a number of other company-wide applications. The planned upgrade is
>>toward StarTeam 2005 R2 Enterprise on a brand new machine.
>>So my questions :
>>* in ST 2005, what exactly is the database used for ?
>>* why does Borland recommend a dedicated database with Oracle or
>>SQL/Server when it is of such limited size ?
>>* how hard is it to do an upgrade from ST4.2 to ST2005 that includes a
>>database move ?
>>
>>Tnx!
>>

>I would be very interested in hearing if you decided to go ahead with
>this upgrade and what procedure you used. We also are using StarTeam 4.2
>and were looking at upgrading when we switched to Delphi 2005 but when I
>enquired I was basically told that it was not possible. Not to mention
>that they wanted us to send them a big fat cheque to cover the couple
>years where we had to let the maintenance contract lapse.

Upgrading for 4.2 can be very easy or can be a challenge. I have done
several lately for customers and each one has been a different story.

I would do the following:
4.2 sp2>4.2 sp3>5.2 with patches>5.3>6.0>2005 R2
Borland documentation does not require all of the steps above but I have
had good luck with it.

As for the supported version of the database for ST 2005 R2:

>Minimum: MSDE 2000 SP2 with Slammer virus patch
>Recommended:
>Oracle 9.0.1.3.0
>Oracle 9.2.0.1.0
>Oracle 10.1.0.3.0