Re: Unleash the Power - Live from BorCon Opening Session

2004-09-13 10:02:04 AM
off-topic8
Robert Love wrote:
I will be blogging everything I can during the opening keynote.

peakxml.com/archive/2004/09/12/541.aspx

Keep hitting refresh if you want to see the latest and greatest....
Refresh? I can't even get it to load once :-/
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
See Delphi 9 (codename: Diamondback) at BorCon (US) 2004:

Re:Re: Unleash the Power - Live from BorCon Opening Session

I wrote:
>Keep hitting refresh if you want to see the latest and greatest....

Refresh? I can't even get it to load once :-/
Ah.. working now <g>
--

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
Refresh? I can't even get it to load once :-/
Works fine for me.
Aren't you at BorCon anyway?
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

{smallsort}

"Robert Love" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I will be blogging everything I can during the opening keynote.

peakxml.com/archive/2004/09/12/541.aspx

Keep hitting refresh if you want to see the latest and greatest....
Thanks. Something that caught my attention is a link to some pictures taken
by Marco Cantu
(www.marcocantu.com/Development/borcon2004/intro_keynote/). There, I
saw a picture of a slide that mentioned "Borland's 20+ years of commitment
to education". Then, in Rob's blog I read that Carnegie Mellon's University
got the award of University of the Year and that they got US$ 1,000,000 as
the award.
Well... I work in academia and honestly, I yet have to see Borland's
commitment to education! Sure, we do get an educational discount on
Borland's products, so is that what they call commitment? I have been using
Borland products for 15 years, but let's be honest, Borland is NOT commited
to education. That's why, when I see that ONE university gets one million
dollars, I can't stop thinking that the money would have been better spent
by making Borland's products free to academic institutions... It's not a
short term investment, but a long term one... Should I mention Microsoft?...
Then again, I am based in the UK, so maybe things are different in the US (I
doubt it though!).
Alan.
PS: I know, this issue has been discussed several times, but both that
statement and award really got me going here...

Re:Re: Unleash the Power - Live from BorCon Opening Session

Actually, I am going to ask a question about this during Q&A general session
It is odd how Borland work with education sector
We looking for people and then WE teach them instead having them come after
graduation with knowledge....
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Serge Dosyukov" <sergeATdragonsoftruDOTcom>wrote in message
Actually, I am going to ask a question about this during Q&A general
session
It is odd how Borland work with education sector
We looking for people and then WE teach them instead having them come
after
graduation with knowledge....
Please let us know, even though I am not holding my breath... I have been
hoping for Borland to really do something for education for years and
well... we all know what the situation is like, so...
Alan.

Re:Re: Unleash the Power - Live from BorCon Opening Session

keep eye on a blogs <g>
BorCon 2004 blog borcon2004.blogspot.com/

On Monday 13 September 2004 07:45 am, Alan Garny wrote:
Borland is NOT commited
to education. That's why, when I see that ONE university gets one
million dollars, I can't stop thinking that the money would have been
better spent by making Borland's products free to academic
institutions... It's not a short term investment, but a long term
one... Should I mention Microsoft?
I concur. When I taught C and C++ at Oregon State University, the
department head pressured me to use Microsoft Visual C++. I showed him
how Microsoft's compiler did not conform to the standard, and he
relented. With C++ 7.1, that argument does not wash--Microsoft's
compiler is now more conformant than Borland's.
I tried to convince the administrators to install JBuilder Personal as
part of the setup for each lab computer. They found the registration
process to be too cumbersome, so they didn't.
A few students downloaded Borland's free C++ command line compiler for
their own use. If I were to teach the same course today, I would
encourage the students to use the GNU compiler: Mingw or Cygwin,
possibly with Eclipse. Borland is off the radar completely.
--
Ray Lischner, author of C++ in a Nutshell
www.tempest-sw.com/cpp

David Clegg wrote:
>Refresh? I can't even get it to load once :-/

Works fine for me.

Aren't you at BorCon anyway?
Yes, but I wasn't at the opening keynote last night :-P
--

Alan Garny wrote:
PS: I know, this issue has been discussed several times, but both
that statement and award really got me going here...
FTR, you have my total & complete sympathy. The only excuse I can
think of is they're trying to drum up the executive level support
with Carnegie Mellon alumni, rather than actually teach students.
-Brion

Alan Garny wrote:
Then, in Rob's blog I read that Carnegie Mellon's University
got the award of University of the Year and that they got US$
1,000,000 as the award.
They have also just got $20Million from Bill Gates towards a new
building (www.cmu.edu/cmnews/extra/040914_gates.html) to be
called the "Gates Center for Computer Science".
--
Phil