Borland: How About Making Codewright Sources Available

2008-03-26 12:54:53 AM
off-topic15
Assuming CodeWright is not actually being built by Borland into any other
tool suite (and to the best of my knowldege it is not), how about making a
great gesture to your long-time users and making the sources for the now
deprecated product available?
It could be turned into a dandy open source project and have new life.
Everyone would win. Borland wouldn't be known any longer as the Codewright
killer. Bear in mind that many of those of us who still want to use it
aren't buying your other development products simply because Codewright is
no longer available. There would be no downside for Borland in doing this.
Thanks.
-Noel

Re:Borland: How About Making Codewright Sources Available

I second that emotion. --Tom Taylor
NoelC wrote:
Assuming CodeWright is not actually being built by Borland into any other
tool suite (and to the best of my knowldege it is not), how about making a
great gesture to your long-time users and making the sources for the now
deprecated product available?

It could be turned into a dandy open source project and have new life.
Everyone would win. Borland wouldn't be known any longer as the Codewright
killer. Bear in mind that many of those of us who still want to use it
aren't buying your other development products simply because Codewright is
no longer available. There would be no downside for Borland in doing this.

Thanks.

-Noel

Re:Borland: How About Making Codewright Sources Available

first, I hope this board is not only hosted by Borland, but is also read
by them from time to time.
I also vote for the OpenSource release of CW. Just putting it on the
server (as it is), lay back and see again rising acceptance of borland
products. NoelC is not the only one, who is boycotting most Borland
tools since the M.D.K. of our beloved CodeWright IDE. Releasing CW to
the public would revert this trend for shure!
--
Mai Kee Reiss
In article <47ec8937$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, XXXX@XXXXX.COM

NoelC wrote:
>Assuming CodeWright is not actually being built by Borland into any other
>tool suite (and to the best of my knowldege it is not), how about making a
>great gesture to your long-time users and making the sources for the now
>deprecated product available?
>[...]

{smallsort}

Re:Borland: How About Making Codewright Sources Available

Me too. -John

NoelC wrote:
>Assuming CodeWright is not actually being built by Borland into any
>other tool suite (and to the best of my knowldege it is not), how
>about making a great gesture to your long-time users and making the
>sources for the now deprecated product available?
>
>It could be turned into a dandy open source project and have new life.
>Everyone would win. Borland wouldn't be known any longer as the
>Codewright killer. Bear in mind that many of those of us who still
>want to use it aren't buying your other development products simply
>because Codewright is no longer available. There would be no downside
>for Borland in doing this.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Noel

Re:Borland: How About Making Codewright Sources Available

In article <4821d2dc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Mark Clopton wrote:
One more supporter of the idea
If this is becoming a vote, you can add my name!
Cheers,
Daniel.

Re:Borland: How About Making Codewright Sources Available

Hi CW users,
until now, I didn't got ANY response to my posting from may 17th. It
belonges also to this old thread, so I reply it here again.
PLEASE READ!
I've been contacted by Mrs. Sabine Rothe, Sales- and Partnermanager
CodeGear in Germany. She want to have a phone talk with me about the
future of CodeWright and what we (the community) whish.
I suppose, you all give me your opinion until, say, 31th of May.
So I'll call her back around 2nd of June. (Edit: give me a month once
more)
Until now I heared the following proposals from me and my mates:
[x] place CodeWright 7.5 (and updates) more "on top" of the
Borland website
[x] give CodeWright product order number again to the dealers.
Most dealers cannot deliver CodeWright 7.5 since it's simply
not listed in Borland sofftware catalogue
[x] give CodeWright under (any) OpenSource license,
even if parts of it are not open. Give this parts as binary.
[x] Make a final VISTA update for CW 7.5
[x] give CodeWright "as it is" for free download in the
Borland Museeum. (Only 1 sugestion of 5 asked people)
[ ] Add your idea, if useful
In article <47e92e6a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...

Daniel James < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
In article <4821d2dc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Mark Clopton wrote:
>One more supporter of the idea

If this is becoming a vote, you can add my name!

Cheers,
Daniel.

Absolutely!
There are plenty of precedents for this move!
Any comment from the new owners?

Andy Neil wrote:
>>One more supporter of the idea
>
>If this is becoming a vote, you can add my name!

Absolutely!

There are plenty of precedents for this move!

Any comment from the new owners?
Who are the new owners? Has Borland sold CodeWright?
Gerhard

Andy Neil & Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

>[...]
>Any comment from the new owners?

Who are the new owners? Has Borland sold CodeWright?

Gerhard
Not as far as I know. In Germany, the respnsible person for CodeWright
is still Sabine Rothe (Sales- und Partnermanager CodeGear) from Borland
company.
--
Mai Kee Reiss

"Andy Neil" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Daniel James < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>In article <4821d2dc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Mark Clopton wrote:
>>One more supporter of the idea
>
>If this is becoming a vote, you can add my name!
>
>Cheers,
>Daniel.

Absolutely!

There are plenty of precedents for this move!

Any comment from the new owners?
Count me in. I'd like to see the source code made available in some kind of form.
RK