Board index » off-topic » Out of memory ?

Out of memory ?


2005-12-02 07:12:38 PM
off-topic17
hello,
sometimes i get this error on my application. the strange thing is that i can't reproduce the error ; it occurs sometimes. and the stranger thing is that when it occurs, i go to task manager and my server have more then 500 MB of free memory (the server has 1 GB in total).
i'm using D6, IB 6.02, TSocketConnection, remote datamodules.
i've talked with some friends, and some of them have the same problem. when it happens, they disconnect all users, close the app server and the problem get solved.
any ideas would be very appreciated.
 
 

Re:Out of memory ?

viana wrote:
Quote
sometimes i get this error on my application.
What error? Be precise, please.
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] . Vertex Systems Corp. . Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx
 

Re:Out of memory ?

hello craig,
thank you for your reply. the error is the one is on the subject :
'Out of memory'
Simply it.
thanks,
Viana
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote:
Quote
viana wrote:

>sometimes i get this error on my application.

What error? Be precise, please.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] . Vertex Systems Corp. . Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx
 

{smallsort}

Re:Out of memory ?

viana wrote:
Quote
thank you for your reply. the error is the one is on the subject :

'Out of memory'

Simply it.
And you see this error on the client or server?
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] . Vertex Systems Corp. . Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio Gonzalez has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it's good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr
 

Re:Out of memory ?

Quote
>
>'Out of memory'
>
>Simply it.

And you see this error on the client or server?
the users see the error on the client side, but i'm not sure if the error occurs in the server and is send to the client, or if it's a client error. i guess it's a server error, because once one user get the error, all users start to get the same error. and then the only way to solve is to disconnect everybody, close the appserver and start it again.
 

Re:Out of memory ?

viana wrote:
Quote
any ideas would be very appreciated.
I have had loads of problems with memory fragmentation in datasnap
servers. I switched to FastMM4 and the problems went away. I suggest
you try this. sourceforge.net/projects/fastmm/
Regards Will.
 

Re:Out of memory ?

hello,
is there really a bug in datasnap ? no fixes ?
i need to know it because this problem is really big for us.
thank you,
viana
"Will Honor" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
viana wrote:


>any ideas would be very appreciated.

I have had loads of problems with memory fragmentation in datasnap
servers. I switched to FastMM4 and the problems went away. I suggest
you try this. sourceforge.net/projects/fastmm/

Regards Will.
 

Re:Out of memory ?

It is not a bug but the Delphi memory manager in versions prior to
D2006 is subject to fragmentation and that may be your problem. D2006
has a new memory manager (based on a modified version of FastMM4 IIRC)
that has dramatically improved performance and eliminated the
fragmentation problem so Will's suggestion is worth trying.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
 

Re:Out of memory ?

viana wrote:
Quote
is there really a bug in datasnap ?
That isn't clear yet.
Quote
no fixes ?
The DataSnap memory manager -- which is different than that used for
Delphi code -- was replaced and substantially improved in D2005.
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] . Vertex Systems Corp. . Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx
 

Re:Out of memory ?

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
Quote
The DataSnap memory manager -- which is different than that used for
Delphi code -- was replaced and substantially improved in D2005.
Hm. Maybe that's why using FastMM didn't so much advantage to our
customers.
Does MIDAS.DLL have the DataSnap memory manager built in? If so, what
version of the DLL has the new DataSnap memory manger? 9.x or 10.x?
--
Jon Robertson
Borland Certified Advanced Delphi 7 Developer
MedEvolve, Inc
www.medevolve.com
 

Re:Out of memory ?

bill,
thank you for your reply, i will give fastmm a try. should i use fastmm on the client or server side ?
viana
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
It is not a bug but the Delphi memory manager in versions prior to
D2006 is subject to fragmentation and that may be your problem. D2006
has a new memory manager (based on a modified version of FastMM4 IIRC)
that has dramatically improved performance and eliminated the
fragmentation problem so Will's suggestion is worth trying.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
 

Re:Out of memory ?

Where the error occurs or both.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
 

Re:Out of memory ?

Jon Robertson wrote:
Quote
Does MIDAS.DLL have the DataSnap memory manager built in? If so, what
version of the DLL has the new DataSnap memory manger? 9.x or 10.x?
Yes, and both 9 and 10.
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] . Vertex Systems Corp. . Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio Gonzalez has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it's good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr