Conversion from BDE to ADO

2003-12-23 11:32:43 PM
off-topic4
Hello,
is there any tutorial, how I can easily change a BCB-project from using the
BDE to using ADO?
Thanks Andi

Re:Conversion from BDE to ADO

Does BCB come with the ADOExpress VCL components? If so, these work very
much in the same way as the regular BDE VCL components. You should be able
to easily swap TTables with TADOTables etc. If you don't have the
ADOExpress components, you probably want to find some 3rd party ADO TDataset
descendents if you need to use the rest of the Delphi data-aware controls.
(I just use ADOExpress so I don't have any 3rd party recommendations).
If you need to restructure you DB using ADO, then you can use SQL DDL if
you're connecting to SQL Server. If you're connecting to Access, you'll
have to use ADOX automation. I do have an example of this somewhere that I
downloaded a while ago (shows restructuring fields, columns tables etc. with
ADOX).
Chris
"Andreas Wehner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hello,

is there any tutorial, how I can easily change a BCB-project from using
the
BDE to using ADO?

Thanks Andi

Re:Conversion from BDE to ADO

Hi Chris (second thread),
yes it does. So I only have to chane the vcl components to ADO components?
So far its an Access97 DB (the one for which I have to change the BDE
settings). Can't I use the original mdb-file (because you said i have to
restructure it)?
Thanks Andi
"C P" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

{smallsort}

Re:Conversion from BDE to ADO

You should be able to use the original .mdb file. If you don't need to do
any restructuring of your DB, then great! I was just mentioning that if you
do need to do this, then you'll need to use ADOX (or DAO directly come to
think of it). I was forgetting that you were coming from BDE/Access and
thus probably not already doing any restructuring.
For the most part you can switch the BDE VCL components to the ADO VCL
components. For the most part this should work OK. I think some FindKey
stuff works different with TADODataset components (I think you use Locate
instead), but mostly you should be OK. IIRC is recommended that you use
TADOQuery rather than TADOTable if possible, but TADOTable should work.

news:3fe899e3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Does BCB come with the ADOExpress VCL components? If so, these work
very
>much in the same way as the regular BDE VCL components. You should be
able
>to easily swap TTables with TADOTables etc. If you don't have the
>ADOExpress components, you probably want to find some 3rd party ADO
TDataset
>descendents if you need to use the rest of the Delphi data-aware
controls.
>(I just use ADOExpress so I don't have any 3rd party recommendations).
>
>If you need to restructure you DB using ADO, then you can use SQL DDL if
>you're connecting to SQL Server. If you're connecting to Access, you'll
>have to use ADOX automation. I do have an example of this somewhere
that
>downloaded a while ago (shows restructuring fields, columns tables etc.
with
>ADOX).
>
>Chris

Re:Conversion from BDE to ADO

Hi Chris,
thanks.I'll try it. Most of my db components don't use tables. I did it
mostly with queries. When I'm through with it, I'll report my experiences.
Second time merry christmas,

news:bsaa4u$be294$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Hi Chris (second thread),
>
>yes it does. So I only have to chane the vcl components to ADO
components?
>So far its an Access97 DB (the one for which I have to change the BDE
>settings). Can't I use the original mdb-file (because you said i have to
>restructure it)?
>
>Thanks Andi
>

>"C P" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>news:3fe899e3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>Does BCB come with the ADOExpress VCL components? If so, these work
very
>>much in the same way as the regular BDE VCL components. You should be
>able
>>to easily swap TTables with TADOTables etc. If you don't have the
>>ADOExpress components, you probably want to find some 3rd party ADO
>TDataset
>>descendents if you need to use the rest of the Delphi data-aware
controls.
>>(I just use ADOExpress so I don't have any 3rd party recommendations).
>>
>>If you need to restructure you DB using ADO, then you can use SQL DDL
if
>>you're connecting to SQL Server. If you're connecting to Access,
you'll
>>have to use ADOX automation. I do have an example of this somewhere
that
>>downloaded a while ago (shows restructuring fields, columns tables
etc.
>with
>>ADOX).
>>
>>Chris

Re:Conversion from BDE to ADO

I just remembered these components: web.orbitel.bg/vassil/. I've
seen others here recommend them as superior to the Borland ones. I've never
used them myself, though. I _think_ they're free.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...