Considering an alternative to the BDE

2006-05-26 02:23:33 AM
off-topic13
We have a D6 application which is used by several thousand of our users to
perform a multitude of procedures using dBase files. The application is
good with small files, but runs slow and sometimes crashes with larger files
in excess of a million records. We need to be able to handle larger file
sizes.
Our users would prefer to have stand-alone capabilities for remote
processing, but a server is not out of the question. Currently, the data
must be converted from various formats to dBase before our application can
process it.
We are considering an alternative to the BDE and would greatly appreciate
your input.
What alternative to the BDE would perform well with large dBase files?
What Database alternatives would you suggest we look at?
Thanks for any advice.
John Donaldson
Florida Department of Revenue

Re:Considering an alternative to the BDE

Take a look at Advantage Database Sever. It supports dBase files, has a
free local version for stand alone apps, a true database server for
multi-user environments and many other features.
www.advantagedatabase.com
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Bill Todd wrote:
Take a look at Advantage Database Sever. It supports dBase files, has
a free local version for stand alone apps, a true database server for
multi-user environments and many other features.
www.advantagedatabase.com
Yes tried that Bill, it doesnt like Delphi3 dataset, problems
with table column type conversions etc

paul day wrote:
Bill Todd wrote:

>Take a look at Advantage Database Sever. It supports dBase files,
>has a free local version for stand alone apps, a true database
>server for multi-user environments and many other features.
>www.advantagedatabase.com

Yes tried that Bill, it doesnt like Delphi3 dataset, problems
with table column type conversions etc
sorry, replied to wrong post !
--

Re:Considering an alternative to the BDE

Thanks Bill,
I will take a look at Advantage and discuss it with our Dev Team.
John
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Take a look at Advantage Database Sever. It supports dBase files, has a
free local version for stand alone apps, a true database server for
multi-user environments and many other features.
www.advantagedatabase.com

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Considering an alternative to the BDE

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:23:33 -0400, "John Donaldson"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
We have a D6 application which is used by several thousand of our users to
perform a multitude of procedures using dBase files. The application is
good with small files, but runs slow and sometimes crashes with larger files
in excess of a million records. We need to be able to handle larger file
sizes.
FWIW, I converted a BDE Paradox table application to the Absolute
Database engine following a recommendation in these forums about a
year ago and I'm very pleased with the move. Their tech support was
very helpful during the transition and provided a fast response to a
problem I identified. Getting rid of the BDE felt like such a
cleansing<G>, no more installation nightmares! The application
doesn't deal with a million records however...
Regards,
- Bob

Re:Considering an alternative to the BDE

Thanks Bob,
It is precisely the 1 to 4 million record files we want to be able to handle
with as much performance as possible.
Our users want performance. The faster we can process, the more we can get
done. It is pure economics.
John