How to difference two files from cmd line?

2004-01-26 05:12:40 AM
off-topic9
Does anyone know how to launch CW so that it displays the diff of two files when it is launched?

Re:How to difference two files from cmd line?

There are two flavors of File Differencing in CodeWright. Choose the one
you want and invoke it on the exec statement in CodeWright. One of them is
"c:\Program Files\Borland\CodeWright\cw32.exe" -xDlgDiff -nosplash
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"SynaptiCAD Sales" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Does anyone know how to launch CW so that it displays the diff of two
files when it is launched?

Re:How to difference two files from cmd line?

Hi Tom,
The code below launches a diff, but I need to feed the two files to diff on the command line too. Basically, I need it to
display the diff without any user intervention. I plan to embed some javascript code in an html page that will display the
difference of two files when a user clicks on a link in the page. I've already done this with a freeware diff program, but
Codewright has a much better difference display when the file is a mixed ASCII/Binary file.
"Thom Little" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:40147bc9$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
There are two flavors of File Differencing in CodeWright. Choose the one
you want and invoke it on the exec statement in CodeWright. One of them is

"c:\Program Files\Borland\CodeWright\cw32.exe" -xDlgDiff -nosplash

{smallsort}

Re:How to difference two files from cmd line?

Of the two flavors, the "nice one" is the dialog box. The "less nice one"
is a much more basic comparison.
There is no easy way to feed file names to the dialog box version (and I
ASSUME that is the one you are trying to access).,
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"SynaptiCAD Sales" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hi Tom,

The code below launches a diff, but I need to feed the two files to diff
on the command line too. Basically, I need it to
display the diff without any user intervention. I plan to embed some
javascript code in an html page that will display the
difference of two files when a user clicks on a link in the page. I've
already done this with a freeware diff program, but
Codewright has a much better difference display when the file is a mixed
ASCII/Binary file.

"Thom Little" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>There are two flavors of File Differencing in CodeWright. Choose the
one
>you want and invoke it on the exec statement in CodeWright. One of them
is

>"c:\Program Files\Borland\CodeWright\cw32.exe" -xDlgDiff -nosplash

Re:How to difference two files from cmd line?

Yes, the dialog one is the one I'm used to. I'm not sure if the other one would be sufficient or not. If you know the command
to use the basic diff with filenames from the command line, could you send it to me? I no longer have the help file that
contains the API (deleted it a long time ago in fit of madness for harddisk space and no longer know where my codewright CD
is).
"Thom Little" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:40149a5f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Of the two flavors, the "nice one" is the dialog box. The "less nice one"
is a much more basic comparison.

There is no easy way to feed file names to the dialog box version (and I
ASSUME that is the one you are trying to access).,

Re:How to difference two files from cmd line?

You are going to make little progress in your project without the API Help
that was included on your CodeWright CD. You should contact Borland for a
replacement. If I sent you any portion of CodeWright I would be violating
my license agreement with Borland.
I assume that the API help is included in the evaluation copy of CodeWright
7.5.4 but I have not validated that assumption.
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"SynaptiCAD Sales" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Yes, the dialog one is the one I'm used to. I'm not sure if the other one
would be sufficient or not. If you know the command
to use the basic diff with filenames from the command line, could you send
it to me? I no longer have the help file that
contains the API (deleted it a long time ago in fit of madness for
harddisk space and no longer know where my codewright CD
is).

"Thom Little" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>Of the two flavors, the "nice one" is the dialog box. The "less nice
one"
>is a much more basic comparison.
>
>There is no easy way to feed file names to the dialog box version (and I
>ASSUME that is the one you are trying to access).,

Re:How to difference two files from cmd line?

"SynaptiCAD Sales" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Does anyone know how to launch CW so that it displays the diff of two files when it is launched?

C:\yourpathgoeshere\cw32.exe -n -x"cwdiff file1 file2"
But... you must specify the whole path for the two files (unless they are in your edit search path).