Questions on StarTeam

2007-02-15 02:45:03 AM
off-topic17
We are evaluating it for purchase. Can someone answer the following
questions?
1. How does StarTeam handle end of line characters on Linux? On Windows,
on the end of each line is a carriage return/line feed and on Linux it
is just a line feed. Certain Linux files such as shell scripts will
break if they have a carriage return/line feed on the end of them rather
than just a line feed.
2. How does StarTeam differentiate between ASCII and binary files? Does
it just guess by looking at the file or is there a configuration
somewhere that says files of some type of pattern are binary and the
others are ASCII?
3. We have our bugs currently in Visual Intercept. Is there a way of
porting our bug database from Visual Intercept to StarTeam?
Thank you.

Re:Questions on StarTeam

Scott Simpson wrote:
1. How does StarTeam handle end of line characters on Linux? On
Windows, on the end of each line is a carriage return/line feed and
on Linux it is just a line feed. Certain Linux files such as shell
scripts will break if they have a carriage return/line feed on the
end of them rather than just a line feed.
StarTeam won't change the EOLs unless you tell it to. You can do this
at checkin, checkout, and via folder properties.
2. How does StarTeam
differentiate between ASCII and binary files? Does it just guess by
looking at the file or is there a configuration somewhere that says
files of some type of pattern are binary and the others are ASCII?
For the most part, StarTeam doesn't care. It doesn't use reverse
deltas, so unlike, for example, VSS, it doesn't use a different storage
mechanism for ASCII vs. binary (and note that VSS corrupts binary files
when it decides wrong).
The only time it makes a difference that I'm aware of is in the diff
tool. It can do diffs on binary files, but they're not always helpful.
3. We have our bugs currently in Visual Intercept. Is there a way of
porting our bug database from Visual Intercept to StarTeam?
You can import CRs from standard formats such as CSVs using tools
included with the server, but I'm no an expert in this. I'd suggest you
download the trial version of the server, including the import tools,
install it, and try the import yourself to see how well it works with
your data..
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

Re:Questions on StarTeam

Addition to Craigs answer on #2:
StarTeam has a feature called keyword expantion. You can place something
like $Header$ in an ASCII file and check it in. When the file is checked
out, StarTeam replaces the test with file version information. But if the
file is binary, it doesn't get expanded properly. One problem we have with
StarTeam in this area is that unicode files are considered binary so keyword
expantion and DIFFs will not work properly on unicode files.
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Scott Simpson wrote:

>1. How does StarTeam handle end of line characters on Linux? On
>Windows, on the end of each line is a carriage return/line feed and
>on Linux it is just a line feed. Certain Linux files such as shell
>scripts will break if they have a carriage return/line feed on the
>end of them rather than just a line feed.

StarTeam won't change the EOLs unless you tell it to. You can do this
at checkin, checkout, and via folder properties.

>2. How does StarTeam
>differentiate between ASCII and binary files? Does it just guess by
>looking at the file or is there a configuration somewhere that says
>files of some type of pattern are binary and the others are ASCII?

For the most part, StarTeam doesn't care. It doesn't use reverse
deltas, so unlike, for example, VSS, it doesn't use a different storage
mechanism for ASCII vs. binary (and note that VSS corrupts binary files
when it decides wrong).

The only time it makes a difference that I'm aware of is in the diff
tool. It can do diffs on binary files, but they're not always helpful.

>3. We have our bugs currently in Visual Intercept. Is there a way of
>porting our bug database from Visual Intercept to StarTeam?

You can import CRs from standard formats such as CSVs using tools
included with the server, but I'm no an expert in this. I'd suggest you
download the trial version of the server, including the import tools,
install it, and try the import yourself to see how well it works with
your data..

Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

{smallsort}