BDE, UNC & W2K

2003-10-12 12:56:19 AM
off-topic2
Hi,
The "D:\" drive at my server (named "SERVER") is the one shared to the other
computers at my network. In each client I mapped it as "X:\", so MSWord and
other applications were able to share files from "X:\Documents" a.s.o.
The server uses W2K, while the clients use W98.
Since I read that I should configure BDE NetDir to a unique path, using UNC,
I tried to change each client configuration to point to \\SERVER\D$\.
When the client application needed to connect the database, I got the error
that the access was dennied since the user did not have permission to the
drive. Nevertheless, when the client NetDir pointed to "X:\", the connection
was made.
Since \\SERVER\D$\ and "X:\" point to the same drive, what is going wrong?
Marcio

Re:BDE, UNC & W2K

Hello, Bill!
You wrote on Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:37:03 -0700:
Replace D$ with the name of the share.
D$ is the name given to the administrative share for D: under Windows NT.
To Marcio: Create a new share with less restrictive permissions. Only Domain
Administrators have access to the administrative shares.
Cheers.
Ignacio