Trying to understand what Language Drivers do

2004-12-05 05:39:13 PM
off-topic2
Hello,
I have a Paradox app installed at many user sites in the world. My users
will usually have all sorts of Windows language versions (French, German,
Spanish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, ...) and need to enter and edit data in
almost all of the European languages at the same time.
To avoid the BSE trying to be smart I have always set the Transliterate
fields to false and used the <<Paradox 'Intl'>>drivers, assuming that it
was the most "plain vanilla". But I am now trying to automate my
installation and parameterization of the BDE and having problems with the
name <<Paradox 'Intl'>>because of the single quotes (I am using the
SetConfigParameter snippplet posted here a few weeks ago).
My question is, what exactly do the language drivers do ?
TIA
--
Olivier Beltrami
-

Re:Trying to understand what Language Drivers do

Olivier Beltrami wrote:
My question is, what exactly do the language drivers do ?
they control the character set that is to be used.. and from that, the sort
order the indexes will use.. many character sets have unique characters that
aren't found in most other languages and/or are used differently..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Trying to understand what Language Drivers do

>My question is, what exactly do the language drivers do ?

they control the character set that is to be used.. and from that, the
sort
order the indexes will use.. many character sets have unique characters
that
aren't found in most other languages and/or are used differently..
Because my users may be keeping data in many languages from any codepage, on
any version of Windows (except for Unicode ones), I do my own sorting and
all I use the TStringField and TMemoField for is as a way to save a series
of bytes, that my program interprets based on additional information (such
as the language specified for the current record).
So the gist of my question is : if I make sure that I always set
Transliterate to false, are there any risks that the choice of language
drivers will replace one character by another ? Or can I be confident that
if the user enters ASCII 87 he/she will get back ASCII 87, regardless of the
language driver ?
TIA,
Olivier Beltrami
-
Bank Holidays, Dates and Calendar Related Links :
www.qppstudio.net/worldholidays.htm
www.qppstudio.net/freeware.htm

{smallsort}

Olivier Beltrami wrote:
if I make sure that I always set Transliterate to false, are there any risks
that the choice of language drivers will replace one character by another ?
I honestly don't know, because I have never tried this.. the only thing I can
think of is that there could be an obscure bug in this regard.. you might have
to do some research..
Or can I be confident that if the user enters ASCII 87 he/she will get back
ASCII 87, regardless of the language driver ?
same response.. but I would expect you'd have no problems if you can absolutely
control that all raw data is actually added from within your app.. data added or
passed from external sources could be a different matter..