Re: About performance

2005-07-30 05:14:27 AM
off-topic19
Also, BIOS settings for NIC wakeup, power settings, etc.

Re:Re: About performance

mark bannister wrote:
Bill Todd wrote:

>It is also possible that the problem has nothing to do with the NICs.
>It is very possible that it has something to do with Linux/Samba.
>Remember the BDE was never designed to run on or tested on Linux and
>Samba. I only recall one other person who tried to do this and he/she
>had to change some Samba settings to get it to work reliably with the
>BDE. I have no idea which settings were changed. Unfortunately I
>suspect you can count the people running BDE/Paradox apps on
>Linux/Samba on your thumbs so there is not much information available.

Hi all,
Popped over form the Paradox groups.

We have no problems with running a Samba server (SuSe with Samba 2.x).
Running paradox 9 latest BDE. 5-6 active computers using paradox.
Just like Windows you have to turn off op-locks but it can be done on a
directory or file extension basis.
Been running 2 years on Samba. No problems.
Mark B.
Do you think that Paradox version is important? mmmhhh... I can try to
improve it to 9...

Re:Re: About performance

Liz,
very thanks about the suggests, I will try it soon...
Liz wrote:
Andrea,

I can confirm this is a problem for the BDE, from personal experience.
Make sure that the computer is configured such that neither the NIC nor the
HDDs can be turned off to save power. (This may not be the issue, but it
is an issue, especially with laptops - I had one laptop bring a Paradox app
to a screeching halt for 70 users because it had these two power-save
settings on.)

Check it, if these power-save settings are already off, no harm done; if
you turn them off, you've either fixed or avoided the issue.

Turning oplocks off on your Samba server may also resolve the problem.

In addition, here's the standard configuration "rules" we give folks who
are using Paradox the application (with BDE (cuz there's no other way) and
Paradox tables):

>1. www.thedbcommunity.com/faq/13.htm
>
>2. Oplocks:
>A. NT: www.tonymcguire.com/oplocks-nt.htm
>i. UseOpportunisticLocking should be 0
>ii. EnableOplocks should be 0
>iii. The rest don't matter
>B. Win2K/XP: www.tonymcguire.com/oplocks-2000.htm
>i. OplocksDisabled should be 1
>ii. EnableOplocks should be 0
>iii. The rest don't matter
>C. Win9x: Control Panel, System applet, Performance tab, File System
>button, Troubleshooting tab, CHECK the boxes labeled:
>i. "Disable new file sharing and locking semantics."
>ii. "Disable write-behind caching for all drives."
>iii. On the Hard Disk tab, you may wish to try setting Read-ahead
>optimization to None, but I think that should only make a difference
>on the server machine.

Others will have to explain oplocks for Samba.

>3. In Paradox: Tools>Settings>Preferences, Database tab, Refresh
>rate field (you might read the help on this so you know about the
>impact on network traffic).

This will be in a different location for you (probably an API call) but it
and the retry rate could impact performance, I suppose.

>4. LOCALSHARE (BDE, Configuration tab, Configuration>System>INIT)
>must be set to TRUE for all users.
>
>5. Disk caching on Win2K (presumably XP, but I can't check that):
>Properties for the drive, Hardware tab, select the disk of interest,
>click the Properties button, on the Disk Properties tab, UNcheck the
>"Write cache enabled" box if it'll let you.
>
>6. Make sure the machine serving the .DB files isn't being used as a
>workstation.

Other ideas, off the top of my head:

Virus scanner (it shouldn't scan Paradox files (tables, LCK, NET))

Hardware problems (the BDE will be the first thing to tell you if you have
a network or server hardware problem - your server/net admins will deny the
mere possibility of a problem, doesn't mean they're right).

Power problems (make sure everything's on a UPS and power save options are
off)

BDE and Paradox tables are _very_ picky about your configuration, but once
your configuration is correct, they're as stable as the day is long.

Liz

{smallsort}

Re:Re: About performance

Andrea,
I thought you said your application was a Delphi 5 Application.
If so, then there may be some confusion regarding "Paradox 9". In addition
to Paradox, the "Table format", there is Database Development application
now sold by Corel, named "Paradox" and it uses the BDE and "Paradox Tables".
It is a common misunderstanding to confuse Paradox the "Table format" with
Paradox the "Application".
The most current Paradox "Table format" is Level 7. The most current
Paradox "Application" is version 12.
If you are using Delphi, then the most current Paradox you need to be
concerned with is the Paradox Table "Level"... which is 7. But, I don't
think this would even be an issue effecting network performance.

Re:Re: About performance

I do not think the Paradox version matters. However, the BDE version
might.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Re: About performance

Actually, it's 11 (the version in WPO12 is 11 and the about box calls
it 11).
Liz
Rodney Wise wrote:

The most current
Paradox "Application" is version 12.

Re:Re: About performance

Hi Rodney!
mmmhhh...
This Corel application may be used do develop Delphi application instead
of standard BDE? If I understand you well, isn't so...
Best regards,
Andrea Parmeggiani
Rodney Wise wrote:
Andrea,

I thought you said your application was a Delphi 5 Application.

If so, then there may be some confusion regarding "Paradox 9". In addition
to Paradox, the "Table format", there is Database Development application
now sold by Corel, named "Paradox" and it uses the BDE and "Paradox Tables".
It is a common misunderstanding to confuse Paradox the "Table format" with
Paradox the "Application".

The most current Paradox "Table format" is Level 7. The most current
Paradox "Application" is version 12.

If you are using Delphi, then the most current Paradox you need to be
concerned with is the Paradox Table "Level"... which is 7. But, I don't
think this would even be an issue effecting network performance.

`?.`?.`?>rodney

Re:Re: About performance

Andrea,
No.
The "BDE" (Borland Database Engine) is a tool that can be used by Delphi to
access and manipulate data in databases. It is also used by other products
to do the same thing. Examples would be DBases and Paradox.
DBase and Paradox are both "applications" just like "Delphi" is an
application... DBase and Paradox applications are designed specifically for
developing Database type applications while Delphi is designed to develop a
more wide range of applications, including database applications. One big
difference is that "Delphi" allows the developer the "choice" of using the
BDE or NOT.... while Paradox (the application) absolutely "requires" the use
of the BDE.
What can be confusing to many Delphi developers is the word "Paradox". If
you are a Delphi developer, then the word "Paradox" is used simply in
reference to a "table format". Just like there are DBase table formats,
FoxPro table formats, Access table formats, etc... there is also a table
format named "Paradox".
But there is also an application named "Paradox". Paradox (the application)
uses Paradox tables by default.
When people who work with Paradox (the application) use the word "Paradox"
they are usually referring to the "application"... not a table format. So
when Delphi people and Paradox people get together in the same place and
talk (like here in the BDE News group)... sometimes there is a little
confusion about what exactly their talking about.
The Paradox application is of no concern to Delphi users.

Re:Re: About performance

Ok,
Thanks for the explanation!!
:-)
Rodney Wise wrote:
[...]

1) Put Ethereal on a box and sniff the traffic between a client and the server. If you are in a switched environment then you will either need to port mirror the port on the switch or install a true
hub so you can capture what is going on.
2) All of the normal "disable opt lock" info should have been done, else expect issues.
3) You don't mention what Samba build you are on. Some are good, some are not so good. I am running the Debian 3.0.14a version for Sarge 3.1 which specifically has an XFS file system patch compiled
into it. Which also leads me to ask...
4) What distro and what file system for the partition the Samba share(s) are on.
5) How are you set for DNS and WINS, is all of that working and happy? There were some very {*word*193} "slows and delays" with printing via SpoolSS queues in older Samba builds and/or when DNS and WINS is
not running 100%. These things could show up in Ethereal, but some of the slows in this case in the past were Windows going off into lala land, no traffic on the wire for 30 secs, then finally coming
to its senses and moving onward.
Following is a link to a Samba PDC presentation I did last year. Lots of settings are compiled in this one place from various Samba docs and research.
ftp.lueckdatasystems.com/pub/presentations/klugsamba3pdc-bookreview.pdf
--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems