Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

2007-07-19 09:26:48 PM
off-topic10
Are you talking about a replacement for the BDE or a replacement for
Paradox tables? The replacement for the BDE is dbExpress and that is
here now.
we're using dBase tables now. unfortunately we're several CBuilder versions
behind because we just ran out of time trying to move from 3 to 6 so
dbExpress is not a current option for us. we're going to try to upgrade
compilers again soon. we've reorganized our packages in anticipation of the
move and are hoping that this time we'll be better able to isolate the
sources of problems. we had some third party components included so broadly
that we couldn't determine what was broken.
so ... assuming we get that job done, are you saying that a logical first
step would be to keep our dBase tables but access them through dbExpress?
--
Frank M. Cook
www.acsplus.com

Re:Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

I think he is talking about a BDE Replacement for "dBase". I believe
they (dBase) are or have been working on a BDE replacement....
we are using dBase but we want to move away from it as well as the BDE.
we're not at all happy with the amount of reindexing we have to do and we
have one file that stores blob data (rtf memos) which is very fragile and
must just be dumped periodically. what we're looking for is a more stable
backend that can be accessed with tables rather than SQL. most of our users
are either standalone or on small peer to peer networks. I need something
without a run time cost because I can't afford to buy licenses for my
installed base. I've looked at Advantage and now I'm looking at nexusDB.
I'm a little concerned about the Advantage pricing. they have a free
standalone but charge by the site for the true client/server version. I'm
afraid CodeGear may be planning something similar. I've got an installed
base of customers who have paid me extra for a multi-user version and I just
don't know whether I could get away with giving them Advantages 5-user
standalone when they have unlimited seats now. I've been monitoring the
nexusDB newsgroups for the last few days and I'm impressed with how active
they are.
--
Frank M. Cook

Re:Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

Frank M. Cook wrote:
so ... assuming we get that job done, are you saying that a logical
first step would be to keep our dBase tables but access them through
dbExpress?
No. The only support that Codegear provides for dBase tables is via the
BDE. If you want to replace the BDE and you need to stay with dBase
tables then you will need to look at third party solutions.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

we have one file that stores blob data (rtf memos) which is very fragile
and must just be dumped periodically.
Frank.. in the Paradox world, we learned that about blob fields long, long
ago.. it may seem dumb, but it's a lot safer to keep the memo stuff as
separate files.. use a regular alpha field to list the file name, and use
the ordinary default viewer to see and/or work with the files..
we're not at all happy with the amount of reindexing we have to do
and that, my friend, is one of the biggest advantages Paradox tables have
over dBase tables (g)
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Sports Memorabilia and Trading Cards
"Frank M. Cook" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>I think he is talking about a BDE Replacement for "dBase". I believe
>they (dBase) are or have been working on a BDE replacement....

we are using dBase but we want to move away from it as well as the BDE.
we're not at all happy with the amount of reindexing we have to do and we
have one file that stores blob data (rtf memos) which is very fragile and
must just be dumped periodically. what we're looking for is a more stable
backend that can be accessed with tables rather than SQL. most of our
users are either standalone or on small peer to peer networks. I need
something without a run time cost because I can't afford to buy licenses
for my installed base. I've looked at Advantage and now I'm looking at
nexusDB. I'm a little concerned about the Advantage pricing. they have a
free standalone but charge by the site for the true client/server version.
I'm afraid CodeGear may be planning something similar. I've got an
installed base of customers who have paid me extra for a multi-user
version and I just don't know whether I could get away with giving them
Advantages 5-user standalone when they have unlimited seats now. I've
been monitoring the nexusDB newsgroups for the last few days and I'm
impressed with how active they are.
--
Frank M. Cook

Re:Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

Frank,
I'm with Steve on this... Rather then storing RTF files in the table, you
and your customers would be better served if you created a directory and
stored the separate RTF files there.... In the Table, simply store the full
file names. Have your application interact with the RTF files via the file
names rather then pulling them out of a table.
`?.`?.`?>rodney

Re:Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

No. The only support that Codegear provides for dBase tables is via the
BDE. If you want to replace the BDE and you need to stay with dBase
tables then you will need to look at third party solutions.
we're not wedded to dBase tables, but we are pretty committed to our table
driven master/detail coding.
--
Frank M. Cook
www.acsplus.com

Re:Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

I'm with Steve on this... Rather then storing RTF files in the table, you
and your customers would be better served if you created a directory and
stored the separate RTF files there
we've certainly considered that. we'd probably need multiple directories
though probably with some kind of dating scheme, e.g. June_Files,
July_Files, etc. a single directory would get unwieldy quickly.
--
Frank M. Cook
www.acsplus.com

Re:Re: Time to bail out on BDE?

Frank M. Cook wrote:
we're not wedded to dBase tables, but we are pretty committed to our
table driven master/detail coding.
dbExpress is designed for SQL database servers. It does not support
databases that use navigational access so you still need to look at a
third party solution such as Advantage etc.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)