hide an editor-window?

2003-10-20 11:47:16 PM
off-topic4
Good afternoon
I have a lot of open windows which appears in the tabs on top. Now I would
like to hide some windows because they are not used at the moment... I
expect that they will appear in the Windows-List, if I need one of the
hidden windows.
Is that possible?
Thanks a lot in advance,
kind regards,
Thomas
Schittli

Re:hide an editor-window?

The list at the top is listing all documents that were loaded into
CodeWright. The Windows... list lists all documents loaded into CodeWright.
I am not sure from your question what you mean by "hidden". If you close
the document it will disappear from both lists and you will need to open the
document again to view it.
You can control the display of the list at the top of the screen in ...
Tools | Customize... | Environmement | General
... using the three radio buttons in the lower right corner.
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"Schittli" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Good afternoon

I have a lot of open windows which appears in the tabs on top. Now I would
like to hide some windows because they are not used at the moment... I
expect that they will appear in the Windows-List, if I need one of the
hidden windows.

Is that possible?

Thanks a lot in advance,
kind regards,
Thomas
Schittli

Re:hide an editor-window?

I think he means that he only wants a subset of the open files to be listed on the tab - not all of them. He'd like to "hide" some files from the tab, and access them only from the window manager screen.
I have the same complaint about the tabs - they are great if I'm only looking at 5 or 6 files, but more than that I find myself in an endless scrolling search - maybe if it listed them in alphabetical order it would be better?
At any rate, I don't use the tabs anymore, I use the Outline or Bookmark view to go between files.
I toyed around with a macro that lists all the open files in the popup when you right click - but it hung CW up something awful so I gave it up. That was a couple versions ago, maybe I'll try it again...
"Thom Little" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I am not sure from your question what you mean by "hidden". If you close
the document it will disappear from both lists and you will need to open the
document again to view it.

{smallsort}

Re:hide an editor-window?

I use the MDI view with one-file-per-window set. The list at the top of the
screen never provided any functionality that I needed.
tlaButton.cwa has an option to toggle the display on and off. I never
toggle it on.
The Project window Project tab is so powerful an implementation that most of
the other options pale in comparison. Once you start using it, the rest of
them go untouched.
The Window manager gives you a good way to manipulate open documents. You
can assign it to a key with ...
MenuCommand IDM_WINDOW_MANAGER
to get to it in a hurry. I suspect that it contains all the functionality
of the macro you mentioned.
--
"D. Seekins" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

[...]

Yes, that's right. I am working on a project with 650 files in 25 folders;
in my actual
editor, I also have the Project-View with all project-files and a window
manager, with
all open files. But the most powerful feature is to be able to hide files
from the tab-view
(using alt-cursor-down), as we usually work with 4..10 files for one
'development-step',
but for that, we have 40..50 files open in 'background'. With this feature,
- see only the 4..10 files which I actually need. Using ctrl-tab / shift-tab
I can jump to
another file from the list very quickly.
- shift-cursorleft / shift-cursorright changes to the next / previous
visible file, according
to the tab-order.
- ctrl-tab / shift-tab changes to the last/next used and visible file - the
tab-order is
disregarded.
In CodeWright, using the Window-Manager, I always have the list of all
opened
files, and if I would like to jump to another file, then I have to search
for it. With the
40..50 open files its great to have only a subset of open files to be listed
on the tab
which is always much faster. I think...
kind regards,
Thomas
Schittli

news:3f943047$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I think he means that he only wants a subset of the open files to be
listed on the tab - not all of them. He'd like to "hide" some files from
the
tab, and access them only from the window manager screen.

>I have the same complaint about the tabs - they are great if I'm only
looking at 5 or 6 files, but more than that I find myself in an endless
scrolling search - maybe if it listed them in alphabetical order it would
be
better?

>At any rate, I don't use the tabs anymore, I use the Outline or Bookmark
view to go between files.

>I toyed around with a macro that lists all the open files in the popup
when you right click - but it hung CW up something awful so I gave it up.
That was a couple versions ago, maybe I'll try it again...

Re:hide an editor-window?

I address this type of need with the Project window Project pane.
If you abandon assumptions about what a project is and instead think of it
as an arbitrary grouping of files that are arranged in groups that make
sense to you. A single file can be represented in many projects.
This near-infinite aliasing capability solves a lot of organization problems
for me and I can quickly navigate to the collection that I want to deal
with -- my way.
Add to this the power of having a single Active project. When you set it
Active it displays the files that you left there the last time you visited
and hides all the files you don't care about.
This takes some experimentation but once you get started with it I think you
will find that every other approach is pale in comparison.
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.

Re:hide an editor-window?

Thanks a lot, again...!
This takes some experimentation but once you get started with it I think
you
will find that every other approach is pale in comparison.
OK, I'll get my hands dirty and try to understand the Project window Project
pane. I hope that I will get a good working solution...
kind regards,
Thomas
Schittli