Possible BDE and ADO Data Control incompatabilities

2003-10-15 06:38:05 PM
off-topic2
I have created an installation that needs amongst its Merge Modules one for
the BDE and one for ADO Data Control 6.0. I am using Installshield Developer
8 but have experienced specific problems when including these two under
Windows 2000. If I tell the installer to use Windows installer 2.0 I have no
problems. If I use the 1.2 version, everything seems ok during the install,
logged on as an Administrator. However if I then log on as a standard user
the install restarts immediately on logging in. I need one install for all
operating systems and, as supply to user with NT+service pack 5, I must use
Windows Installer 1.2.
I have been in touch with Installshield, who after some deliberation, have
suggested the following
"This behaviour may be occurring because of compatibility issue as BDE and
ADO Data Control may be using the same ODBC Driver at the back end and ODBC
seems to have a limitation on this. "
They suggest I contact Borland and Microsoft for further help.
Has anybody out there had an experience of this kind and therefore can help
me ?

Re:Possible BDE and ADO Data Control incompatabilities

What is ADO Data Control 6.0? Is this something different than MDAC? There
are some bugs in the BDE Merge Modules, but they seem to be more of an issue
during an uninstall or modify/repair of an existing install. I've had no
(major) problems installing the BDE 5.2 from merge modules. As per many
recommendations, I don't install MDAC from my install.
Have you logged at an install log to see where a problem might be? The
install log should give you a good idea of what is happening with your
install. Then try the microsoft.public.platformsdk.msi newsgroup on
msnews.microsoft.com for help once you have a better idea of what the
problem is. If you have trouble interpreting the install log, someone there
can probably help. Also you should have a look at the Windows Installer
Platform SDK. That'll tell you how windows installer works to give you a
better idea of understanding the problem.
Windows Installer is pretty complex and in my experience the editing
interfaces created by Installshield and Wise don't deal with everything. I
think you really need to understand Windows Installer itself to get it
working for you properly.
"Ros Burge" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking about your problem a little more. Now this is just a guess,
and I don't know how helpful it will be, but here goes...
When an install runs automatically when logging in as a different user, that
usually (I think) implies that the original install was run as a per-user
install rather than a per-machine install. That means that even though you
were logged in as the Admin when you ran the install, registry and shortcut
stuff was installed for the Admin user, rather than for all the user's (ie
HKCU in the registry rather than HKLM). When you log in as another user,
Windows Installer sees that some of the software is there, but parts are
missing (they were only installed for the Admin user) so the install runs
again to install the stuff for the new user as well. Since this works with
2.0 and not 1.2 of WI, maybe there was a bug or something fixed with 2.0.
Regardless, have a look at the install and/or the install logs to see where
stuff is being installed - is your install running per user or per machine?
Again the Microsoft newsgroup for Windows Installer will have people that
can help with this a little better than I can.
Also, search on Google groups for some old posting about the BDE merge
modules. A few of us have posted about the issues with them in the past. I
don't think they issues apply to your current problem, but they may still be
important to you.
[...]

{smallsort}