Re: BorCon is now DevCon

2005-03-24 11:39:21 AM
off-topic18
Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:

I prefer "BDC", myself. ;-)h
"Devvy" for me
--
Delphi Configuration Manager 2.0 :: NOW AVAILABLE
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/dcm.htm

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

I always do. You can win something, can't you? :-)
Only if you are lucky. I've been doing it for 11 years and haven't won
anything. :-)
David R.

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

David R. Robinson wrote:
>I always do. You can win something, can't you? :-)

Only if you are lucky. I've been doing it for 11 years and haven't
won anything. :-)
Neither have I, not on the evaluation scheme, not on the Borland Bucks.
Well, being unlucky in {*word*3} is supposed to mean you are lucky in
something else ;-)
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

{smallsort}

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

And in fact it now appears that at least some speakers will be
receiving compensation.
So then I guess I didn't completely misunderstand JK's original post.

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
I agree that it is Borland's problem. They need to clear up the
message here.
That's been the point all along -- for me, anyway.
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 05:03 pm, John Jacobson wrote:
I have a prediction: almost all the non-Borland speakers that actually
make a presentation at DevCon will receive compensation, because the
ones that don't get any won't even bother going.
Why do you say that? Few conferences pay stipends to all speakers. The
norm for trade conferences is that most speakers receive only a free
conference registration. The norm for academic conferences is that
speakers receive nothing at all. All conferences have paid, invited
speakers--from keynotes to regular sessions. Vendor conferences are
more likely to pay speakers than general trade conferences, but unpaid
speaking gigs are so common, I don't think it will prove to be a
problem for Borland.
--
Ray Lischner, author of C++ in a Nutshell
www.tempest-sw.com/cpp

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
Brion L. Webster wrote:

>You said you want to go to a geek technical development conference,
>but that SDO should not be covered there. I can't read that any
>other way as SDO is something different than "Development".

It seems quite clear to me -- and to Craig, too, as he's concerned
about it being left out.
Yes, I think the middle ground here is:
"SDO is different than development, but is important to the developer."
-Craig
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
Yes, I think the middle ground here is:

"SDO is different than development, but is important to the
developer."
On rereading, I don't think that came out right. I make it sound like
there's a great wall between development and business. How's this:
"SDO is different than coding, but both are important to the developer."
-Craig
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

>Yes, I think the middle ground here is:
>
>"SDO is different than development, but is important to the
>developer."

On rereading, I don't think that came out right. I make it sound like
there's a great wall between development and business. How's this:

"SDO is different than coding, but both are important to the developer."
I'm eagerly waiting for the next iteration <g>
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
"SDO is different than development, but is important to the
developer."
I've never said or implied otherwise.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
"SDO is different than coding, but both are important to the
developer."
That either. ;-)
--

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

>"SDO is different than development, but is important to the
>developer."

I've never said or implied otherwise.
Yes, that's clear.
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Why do you say that? Few conferences pay stipends to all speakers.
It's not stipends that are the issue. For normal sessions, stipends have
always been either non-existent or small, at least since I've been
applying to BorCons.
All the other conferences I've ever applied to have paid travel and
accomodation expenses for speakers. That seems the norm in Europe, at least.
The norm for trade conferences is that most speakers receive only a free
conference registration.
It would be truly bizarre if they didn't receive that :-)
I don't think it will prove to be a problem for Borland.
It depends what Borland want out of this conference. I know a number of
speakers from outside the US/Canada who won't be going, though, and of
some concern amongst those in North America. Given the trend also to not
hold regional BorCons any more, and the fact that predicted numbers are
not very high this year, BorCon (sorry, DevCon) seems to be winding down.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

Jim Cooper < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
All the other conferences I've ever applied to have paid travel and
accomodation expenses for speakers. That seems the norm in Europe, at
least.
This is the norm at EVERY conference I've spoken at as well. Canada, US,
Australia, Singapore, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Germany, and more.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re:Re: BorCon is now DevCon

In article <4241d6e1$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
Ingvar Nilsen wrote:

>With your writing skills, I think it is unnecessary to pick an example
>off the software sphere.

Okay, how about this:

Just because I want to attend a confernence with a strong technical
emphasis on development tools doesn't mean I'm disinterested in SDO or
think it unimportant or unnecessary.

Hmmm. Your first cut was easier for a hockey geezer to grok. :)
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts