File Server locks on the Pdoxusrs.net and pdoxusrs.lck files

2004-07-30 07:33:58 AM
off-topic17
I hope someone can help me understand this.
The Computer Management function shows which files are open by who, what
mode they are opened in and the number of file system locks on the file.
If I open the Computer Management function (Win2k, XP, servers) and look at
System Tools ->Shared Folders ->Open Files
and then open Paradox (clear desktop, no tables open)
the Computer Management window shows that I have the pdoxusrs.net file open
for read+write and there is one lock on the file.
If I open a table ( a simple on, no index) I see in the Computer Management
window shows that I have the pdoxusrs.net file open for read+write and there
is one lock on the file, the table file (.db) is open for read+write and
there is no lock on the file and the pdoxusrs.lck is open for read+write and
there is no lock on the file.
If I open a second instance of Paradox (clear desktop, no tables open) on
the same PC while the first one and the table are still open the Computer
Management window shows that I have the pdoxusrs.net file open for
read+write and there are now two locks on the file both with the same
"accessed by" name (me).
What do these locks at the file server mean?
Why does the pdoxusrs.net file always have a lock?.
Under what circumstances would I see (and I do) the pdoxusrs.lck file have
locks set by more than one user (and sometimes more than one)? Is this
because of the duration of the snapshot of the Computer Management Window?
This environment is a 3-Win2k/Citrix farm with a 1 gByte link to 2 Win2K
clustered servers.
The claim is that oplocks are disabled.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
----------------
Roger Engdahl
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:File Server locks on the Pdoxusrs.net and pdoxusrs.lck files

Roger Engdahl wrote:
I hope someone can help me understand this.
sure.. but why didn't you just ask this over on pnews?
What do these locks at the file server mean?
Why does the pdoxusrs.net file always have a lock?.
each user that's working off the .net file has a lock on it to make sure that
the file doesn't get deleted, renamed, etc.. everyone pointing to that .net file
has the same hold on it..
download netdump from my web site and you can see the contents of the .net
file..
Under what circumstances would I see (and I do) the pdoxusrs.lck file have
locks set by more than one user (and sometimes more than one)?
whenever there is more than one user touching the tables in that folder.. this
is standard behavior..
download lockdump from my web site to see the contents of the lock files..
The claim is that oplocks are disabled.
that has nothing to do with this..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:File Server locks on the Pdoxusrs.net and pdoxusrs.lck files

Thanks Steve,
Maybe pnews would have been better. I am really struggling here and haven't
found the answers I need there
I have both of these utilities and they are helpful for seeing what is
inside the file.
What I an concerned about is why there is more than one file system lock one
the .lck file? I keep running into lock time outs where it appears that the
only issue is actually gaining access to the .lck file as if the file system
lock is hung up
I need to know about the locks placed on the files themselves by the
operating system.
The .net file has an entry for every user in the file. You are saying that
there is a file system lock on the file to prevent it from being deleted?
OK.
I would think the file system lock should only be on the .lck when a user is
writing to it so that only one user writes at a time.
The file system level locks on the .lck file are not always there for all
users, and sometimes one user can have more than one and most have none.
Thanks.
Roger Engdahl

{smallsort}

Roger Engdahl wrote:
The .net file has an entry for every user in the file. You are saying that
there is a file system lock on the file to prevent it from being deleted?
I guess that's a poor explanation.. once the OS locks the file to record the new
user, it holds that file open for that user, til the user logs out..
same thing with the lock files.. plus, the lock files keep changing, as
table-in-use changes.. your "lock time out" is just another example of the
problem you'd have when the user aborts, and the OS doesn't know that the files
aren't supposed to be held anymore.. until the user re logs into the network,
Paradox/BDE can't change the files, because the OS won't release the "prior
instance of me"..
and occasionally, depending on how it happens, Paradox/BDE will *still* show
"two instances of me" if the old one doesn't get purged properly..
there is no perfect answer, or angle of attack, for the "lock time out" issue..
Local Share, oplocks/caching, overloaded server I/O, bad hardware/cables,
unstable power, etc.. any and all of these things can contribute to the
problem..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:File Server locks on the Pdoxusrs.net and pdoxusrs.lck files

Thanks Steve and Bill for your help.